cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FDCAN not working with STM32U5F7

Hareesh_S
Associate II

I'm using a custom board with an STM32U5F7. Written a program(with nothing else configured other than clock and FDCAN) that simply sends out a message via FDCAN (in classis mode, 500kbps) which I'm hoping to receive using a P-CAN. When probing the TX line going to my transceiver using an oscilloscope there seems to be no data being transmitted, the line is just pulled high to 3V3. 

The same board populated with an STM32U599 running a new project with the same configuration and same code is able to successfully send messages which I can scope on the TX line.

With the STM32U5F7, I have tried internal loopback mode to rule out any hardware related issues (following the FDCAN loopback walkthrough on ST's YouTube) but I'm not receiving messages as well.

Not sure what to make of this or how to diagnose and fix the issue I'm facing any further than this. Any input would be highly appreciated 

21 REPLIES 21
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello @Hareesh_S ,

Another customer faced an issue with FDCAN with the same part number.

After an internal task force, it turns out that STM32U5F7 part number doesn't support FDCAN. It's disabled by hardware. 

What we propose is to use STM32U5G7 part number instead.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Hareesh_S
Associate II

Hello @SofLit 

Thank you for reaching out!
Yeah, that's the plan, we'll be switching to the G7 equivalent shortly.

Much appreciation for your support!
(Funnily enough, I was contemplating replying here with the same news, being that the "other customer" was my workplace!)