cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest inter MCU communication.

Slina
Associate III

I'm planning to make a multi MCU system where one MCU will act as a video driver, so I need a fast communication between two of them (al least 20MB/s). What is the best way to do that without active MCU involvement? Busy waiting on port inputs sounds like a stupid idea, but all the other suggested solutions that I've come across are way too slow. I've read somewhere that someone did it with QSPI? That would work, since it says 50MB/s can be achieved, but how to use QSPI for anything else than for flash?

26 REPLIES 26

Can you connect 2 MCUs directly over Ethernet MAC interface? How?

My appetites grew a bit so I now need much more than 20MB/s. Can that be done over FMC? If so, how? And what do you mean by inductive isolation devices?

Just like two computers. It's a normal net connection with TX and RX lines cross-coupled.

STM32 up to H7 have Fast (not Gigabit) Ethernet and it's data payload speed is 11,6 MB/s max.

I think the ports of STM32H7 run until 100MHz in standard mode. So with 8bit FMC you have 100MByte per sec, and with 16bit FMC you have 200MByte per sec... . I would propose that you buy two STM32H743 Nucleo boards and try playing around ... . If you do not know what isolation devices are, then just skip it ... . not necessary to know ...

Slina
Associate III

Paying 50€ for a toy is a bit more than I'm ready to spend. I was hoping to have some solution with only one Nucleo board.

... I am not sure how you could do this with one Nucleo ... if you want to test communication between two STM32H7, you also would NEED two STM32H7 ... and a Nucleo has unfortunately only one STM32H7 :).