cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Flash Sector Size of STM32H750B-DK is 128K (expected 64K)

nonoriri
Associate II

Hello,

I have an STM32H750B-DK board which includes two quad SPI flash chips (MT25QL512ABB8ESF-0SIT x 2).

When I use STM32CubeProgrammer to write or erase the external flash, the erase operation can only be done in 128KB units.

I thought the sector size of the flash was 64KB.

Why does STM32CubeProgrammer show the flash size as 128KB?

Thank you for your help.

nonoriri_0-1716884677345.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The memory has two die, in Dual Mode access is interleaved at a byte level. So it erases two 64K pairs giving 128K

Could probably be adopted to do 4K pairs for 8K. Some compelling reason to do that? Kind of makes the sector erase dialog unmanageable. 

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hello @nonoriri and welcome to the Community 🙂,

This external loader is configured to support MT25TL01G memory mounted on STM32H750B-DK.

The presence of two quad-mounted series allows for the selection of various sector erase sizes, such as 64x2, 32x2, 4x2, or 64, 32, 4. The determination of the appropriate sector size is contingent upon the preferences of the flash loader developer. 

If there will be a requirement to modify the sector size, it is necessary to develop a flash loader that is tailored to the specific sector size needed for the particular application. May this Mooc can help you.

Thank you.

Kaouthar

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

The memory has two die, in Dual Mode access is interleaved at a byte level. So it erases two 64K pairs giving 128K

Could probably be adopted to do 4K pairs for 8K. Some compelling reason to do that? Kind of makes the sector erase dialog unmanageable. 

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..