cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending Flash memory on STM32F429 MCU using external memory that can store images during MCU Flashing

Caan
Associate III

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well it doesn't support QSPI, and the SPI implementation doesn't map into the memory space of the MCU directly.

You could use SPI to connection to W25Q256 or MT25L256 type devices in 8 or 16-pin packages. These are NOR Flash.

The F429 can support F(S)MC peripheral for parallel RAM or FLASH, but these soak up a lot of pins vs SPI, QSPI type devices.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Well it doesn't support QSPI, and the SPI implementation doesn't map into the memory space of the MCU directly.

You could use SPI to connection to W25Q256 or MT25L256 type devices in 8 or 16-pin packages. These are NOR Flash.

The F429 can support F(S)MC peripheral for parallel RAM or FLASH, but these soak up a lot of pins vs SPI, QSPI type devices.

Caan
Associate III

So what is the best way to go? I have a RGB Interface with the 7" LCD in RGB565 Mode and SRAM With the Dev board already connected, And I want to extend the Flash on the Stm32f429 to save the image data.

are there External loaders for NOR Flash available to do so inside STM32CUBEIDE?

So what is the best way to go? I have a RGB Interface with the 7" LCD in RGB565 Mode and SRAM With the Dev board already connected, And I want to extend the Flash on the Stm32f429 to save the image data.

are there External loaders for NOR Flash available to do so inside STM32CUBEIDE?

You'd have to write one, based on your board, pins, and part selection.

You'd need a BSP (Board Support Package) to read content, suggest implementing the erase and write, this way you can test it in your own application code.

You could perhaps implement code to allow upload of a hex file, or reading from MicroSD, etc.

With working functions you could port those into a SPI_FLASH External Loader.