cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do GPIO pins configured as digital inputs latch incoming data?

John W.
Associate II

I've looked in many places and haven't found a definitive answer yet. The reference manual simply states that reading the GPIO port input register returns the value of the associated pins. Does that mean that an external device has to be driving the GPIO pin at that time? What if no external device is driving the GPIO pin at that time (i.e. all candidate drivers are in hi-z) but have previously driven a value onto the GPIO pin. For what it's worth I am planning to use the STM32H725 (CORDIC + FMAC + MDMA -- very cool!)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

> Does that mean that an external device has to be driving the GPIO pin at that time?

Yes.

> What if no external device is driving the GPIO pin at that time (i.e. all candidate drivers are in hi-z) but have previously driven a value onto the GPIO pin.

The input level is undefined.

JW

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

> Does that mean that an external device has to be driving the GPIO pin at that time?

Yes.

> What if no external device is driving the GPIO pin at that time (i.e. all candidate drivers are in hi-z) but have previously driven a value onto the GPIO pin.

The input level is undefined.

JW

TDK
Guru

Typically the way this is handled is to use an internal/external pulldown/pullup such that if nothing is driving it externally, the level goes to a known default state.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
John W.
Associate II

Thank you for the clarification. Will design accordingly!

John W