cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debug Blue Pill with Stlink-V3minie

MaurizioAndaloro
Associate

HI!

I recently purchased some ST products, attempting to program and debug.

I initially purchased a STM32 Blue Pill (STM32f103) along with a Mini St-Link V2 (Clone). Then I purchased an STM32F3VE board.

I was able to program both boards using ST-LINKV2 (clone) and CubeProgrammer but not to debug via CubeIde, as I understand ST no longer allows debugging via cloned STlink.

Wanting to debug I purchased a STLINK-V3minie, but I can't even connect with the CubeProgrammer Software to both cards. I have checked the connections over and over again and they are correct.

I changed the firmware version of the Minie, believe me I've tried them all. I checked with the oscilloscope whether the CLOCK/Data are present, and everything is OK.

What do you think about it? Is it possible that the cards have cloned chips and therefore the minie doesn't connect? If, yes, how can I check from CubeProgrammer whether they are genuine ST or not? Looking at the ICs case/mark they look Genuine.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@MaurizioAndaloro wrote:

I recently purchased some ST products

Note that the Blue Pill is not an ST product, and the chip on it will (almost) certainly not be genuine.

@MaurizioAndaloro wrote:

Is it possible that the cards have cloned chips

It's as good as certain that they are not genuine!

Save yourself a load of grief, and just get a genuine Nucleo board - with the included genuine ST-Link, it possibly even works out cheaper than a Blue Pill plus clone ST-Link!

See this thread for a recent example of the tale of woe resulting from the bluepill fakery:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-products/blue-pill-stm32f1-board-gets-programmed-through-arduino-ide-but/td-p/667923

See also:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-products/debug-with-stlink-v3minie/td-p/711316

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@MaurizioAndaloro wrote:

I recently purchased some ST products

Note that the Blue Pill is not an ST product, and the chip on it will (almost) certainly not be genuine.

@MaurizioAndaloro wrote:

Is it possible that the cards have cloned chips

It's as good as certain that they are not genuine!

Save yourself a load of grief, and just get a genuine Nucleo board - with the included genuine ST-Link, it possibly even works out cheaper than a Blue Pill plus clone ST-Link!

See this thread for a recent example of the tale of woe resulting from the bluepill fakery:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-products/blue-pill-stm32f1-board-gets-programmed-through-arduino-ide-but/td-p/667923

See also:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-products/debug-with-stlink-v3minie/td-p/711316

TDK
Guru

See here for some tests:

Bluepill Diagnostics — Mecrisp Stellaris Unofficial 1.0 documentation (sourceforge.io)

Or the common sense test which is a lot faster and probably just as reliable:

Did you buy it from a reputable supplier? If not, it's fake. (This is a bit of trick question, as no reputable supplier sells a "blue pill" board.)

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
BarryWhit
Senior III

Did I miss a news cycle? what is the source of your claim that ST "now longer allows"  debugging vis fake STLINK (i.e. that there's been a software change in a recent release)? is this based on any hard evidence, or are you just having trouble with your board and jumping to conclusions?

Years ago, when FTDI pushed out a driver update that made fake versions of their chips break (and then when they retracted it, and then when they put out another hostile update later on), it made a huge noise in maker/EE circles. But I haven't heard anything of the kind, and I look at this forum almost every day.

What I do know, and this is nothing new, is that cloned chips and clone programmers are often more trouble than they're worth, and that ST (quite reasonably) will not provide support for cloned products. So "buy original products" is good advice, especially if you're not a strapped teen or student, where every 10 bucks makes a difference.

That said, and unless you point me at a bombshell news item, none of the symptoms you described sound to me like indicators of fake products. At the very least, you can download an old release of CubeProgrammer and try again. If that doesn't work either, I doubt a new stealth anti-counterfeiting campaign by ST is the cause of your current difficulties.

- If a post has answered your question, please acknowledge the help you received by clicking "Accept as Solution".
- Once you've solved your issue, please consider posting a summary of any additional details you've learned. Your new knowledge may help others in the future.

Hi Barry,

I'm new in ST World and trying to find a solution of my problems i read somewhere that ST do not allow Clones, i don't know exactly if it works or not.

That's it, i'm here to learn more about ST Components and then make my own board.

But i'de like to have a working enviroment and actually i'm able to program 2 AlienExpress boards using a Clone STLinkV2 but not with a Genuine STLinkV3minie, just trying to understand why.

Now i want to know if the STM32F103 and the STM32F407 soldered are a fakeones or not, maybe using the blue pill diagnostic tool as suggested but the USB do not seems to work properly ( device descriptor request failed) and i'm already thinking to buy a Genuine IC and replace it with hot air on both Boards.

But i'de like also understand what's going on, and i'm just asking help regarding STLink-V3minie and why not connects.. that it..

@MaurizioAndaloro wrote:

But i'd like to have a working environment ..

Then just get a Nucleo board - you will save yourself a huge amount of grief (see the previously-linked threads).

@MaurizioAndaloro wrote:

i'm able to program 2 AlienExpress boards using a Clone STLinkV2 but not with a Genuine STLinkV3minie, just trying to understand why...

There's so many unknowns - probably some unknowables - there that it really isn't worth the effort.

You buy unknown product - you get undefined behaviour.

@MaurizioAndaloro wrote:

Now i want to know if the STM32F103 and the STM32F407 soldered are a fakeones .

The chances of them being genuine are vanishingly small

@MaurizioAndaloro wrote:

I'm already thinking to buy a Genuine IC and replace it with hot air on both Boards.

Is that really worth it, compared to the cost of a Nucleo board? And the risk that the rework may not go well ...

Especially as a beginner, the last thing you want is flaky hardware.

@MaurizioAndaloro wrote:

I'm just asking help regarding STLink-V3minie and why not connects.

Because it's designed to connect to genuine STM32s - behaviour with anything else is undefined.

I just want to start from somewhere, had some money to spend, and I did wrong, anyway isnt a problem for me to resolder ICs, i'm used to, better than leave them unused, with around 25€ i can fix them. And of course I'll also buy a nucleo board.

As you can see i like to understand problems to find a solution.

BarryWhit
Senior III

>  i read somewhere that ST do not allow Clones

"somewhere on the internet" is not my idea of a reliable source.

I'm just saying, you having difficulties with some boards is not compelling evidence that ST is suddenly blacklisting fake devices. There has been no recent uptick in the number of reports on issues with cloned chips or programmers. Please don't propagate phony "some people say" rumors without actual evidence to back it up. Doing so is harmful.  

You'll have less uncertainty with original products, but you can also usually get clones to work.

Stay away from Mecrisp Stellaris, no newbie should waste time going down the rabbit-hole of a project written in a custom flavor of Forth - "ask me how I know".

- If a post has answered your question, please acknowledge the help you received by clicking "Accept as Solution".
- Once you've solved your issue, please consider posting a summary of any additional details you've learned. Your new knowledge may help others in the future.

Should i ask? how you know? Haha

I'll be more careful with internet, but it is true that ST is doing something to avoid clones, no? As you said StLinks check if the Chip is made by ST.

I'll do something with those clones.

I'm a Vessel Technician, working for a company. I'm looking for a good microcontroller that can handle some ( more as possible ) UARTs, CANs, to realize interface boards to be connected eachother and to other devices. The F407 is enough good for my purposes but you know, i've to test it, debug it, that's why i want to know regarding clones, i do not want a clone i want a genuine product to avoid issues like the one we're talking about

@MaurizioAndaloro wrote:

i do not want a clone i want a genuine product to avoid issues like the one we're talking about

So avoid the Blue (and other coloured) Pills - they will (almost) certainly be fakes.

Buy a genuine Nucleo (which includes a genuine ST-Link) from an authorised distributor.