Andy6
Associate II

Hey everyone, new user here!

In our project we are using:

STM32F334R8T6

STM32CubeIde Version: 1.14.1
STM32CubeProgrammer release v2.17.0
Debugger probe - Nucleo-F334R8

along with HAL implementation of handling communication using UART + DMA. Due to error in our architecture we have been calling
these functions in main function

HAL_HalfDuplex_EnableTransmitter
HAL_UART_Transmit_DMA
HAL_HalfDuplex_EnableReceiver

and following in an interrupt (so diffrent context which could interrupt any of those funcitons above)

HAL_UARTEx_ReceiveToIdle_DMA
HAL_UART_DMAStop
__HAL_RCC_DMA1_CLK_DISABLE();
HAL_UART_MspDeInit();
MX_DMA_Init();
MX_USART2_UART_Init();
HAL_UART_MspInit();

Obviously it caused serious issues and racing conditions, however when racing condition happen we also lose communication via st link.
Upon pausing the project we receive error (in Cube IDE):

Could not halt device (18)
Shutting down...
Exit.

Then in stm32CubeProgrammer I can connect to device and read flash (0x08000000), but not RAM (0x20000000):

15:45:11 : UPLOADING ...
15:45:11 : Size : 256 Bytes
15:45:11 : Address : 0x8000000
15:45:11 : Read progress:
15:45:11 : Data read successfully
15:45:11 : Time elapsed during the read operation is: 00:00:00.003
15:45:24 : UPLOADING ...
15:45:24 : Size : 256 Bytes
15:45:24 : Address : 0x20000000
15:45:24 : Read progress:
15:45:25 : Error: Data read failed

Only way to recover is to cycle power of the uC.

Question: can someone explain what could cause to ram being unreadable via debug interface?

I have never seen such behavior. Additionally, sometimes even connecting to the flash is not possible. If i wouldn't be able to read flash i'd expect program writing to random memory like clock control, gpio (disconencting debug pins) but that is not the case.

4 REPLIES 4
AScha.3
Chief II

Hi,

>Additionally, sometimes even connecting to the flash is not possible.

So this looks like a hardware problem: bad connection to target. (bad ground, long wires, or other power source there, injecting spikes )

Try: make a new project , set debug (serial wire), clock tree, and if you have: a LED pin.

Make program, only LED toggle and HAL_delay...to see it running.

Then try here to connect (software reset) and look at the memories...

+

Can you show a pic of your construction (with st-link connected) ?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hey

It is custom board, using USART2 connected to RS485 transciver.

By st link i mean evalboard bought from botland.com.pl which in fact is not authorized reseller according to https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/contact-us.html but in Poland its quite reputable shop. I will retest using evalboard received from ST at embedded world, I didnt think about that indeed.

I have updated OP with details about sw version and debugger. Thanks for suggestions

It doesnt look like debugger connection issue. This happens only if our racing condition occurs (both task and interrupt reconfiguring dma/uart). Other than that it can go for hundreds of hours without problem to stop the device. And when issue occurs i am able to connect to flash but not the RAM.

I have attached pic with board-debugger connections.