cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chosing FLASH for STM32H7

Ajaho
Associate II

Hello Community,

According to data sheet of STM32H743VIT6 https://eu.mouser.com/datasheet/2/389/stm32h743vi-1760857.pdf

1) Dual mode Quad-SPI memory interface running up to 133 MHz

2) NOR/NAND Flash memory clocked up to 100 MHz in Synchronous mode

Q1: Is it possible run NOR/NAND Flash in Asynchronous mode?

Q2: Is it possible run NOR/NAND Flash, which has 120 MHZ (or 133 MHZ) Maximum Clock Frequency param?

Q3: Is it possible run NOR/NAND Flash on Quad-SPI memory interface?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MNapi
Senior III

I have working project with MT25QL128ABA running at 120 Mhz on the same STM ( STM32H743) chip

It can run up to 133 Mhz

there is nothing called synchronous mode in the setup. you do not need this.

1.png

2.png

3.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
STOne-32
ST Employee

Dear @Ajaho ,

for Cost , Size and power reduction, QSPI memories are best optimized. Here is an application Note on our QSPI peripheral across different STM32 MCU including H743 :

https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/an4760-quadspi-interface-on-stm32-microcontrollers-and-microprocessors--stmicroelectronics.pdf

Hope it helps you.

STOne-32

MNapi
Senior III

I have working project with MT25QL128ABA running at 120 Mhz on the same STM ( STM32H743) chip

It can run up to 133 Mhz

there is nothing called synchronous mode in the setup. you do not need this.

1.png

2.png

3.png

Its a clocked bus, so I don't know what kind of "asynchronous" method you're imagining?

NAND will not Execute-In-Place

Need to pay a lot of attention to the traces/routing to hit very high-speed.

The CM7 caches, so you can hide a lot of the latency and slowness as execution generally jumps around.

There's a very large selection of Quad SPI NOR and NAND Flash. Decide what you want to do.

Would recommend using a SOIC16W foot-print for broadest number of options, perhaps a rotated SOIC8 within.

BGA24 is also an option for newer/larger parts, might depend on your board costs and PCBA preferences.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..