cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chip Select of SPI in Nucleo F401RE stuck low

FAJOL.1
Associate III

Hi guys,

I m having an issue with my Nucleo F401RE. I m porting a code based on the use of SPI2 that worked very well on Nucleo G431RB. I made same setting on Nucleo IDE (see picture).

SPI Setting.jpg

After inizialization of periperhals NSS (Chip Select) goes to high and everithing seems to work fine until the first transmission:

void SPI_TX_16b(uint8_t* pdata){

HAL_SPI_Transmit(&hspi2, (uint8_t*) pdata, 1, HAL_MAX_DELAY);

};

Then the NSS goes down and stucked there forever. In the picture (yellow is clk, green is data out, and violet is nss). 

Any ideas?

Thanks

scope_1.pngscope_0.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

Don't use the hardware NSS pin on the STM32F4, it's not driven like a CS pin. It will always be low when the peripheral is active. Instead, initialize it as a GPIO output and manually set it low before transmission, and high afterwards.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TDK
Guru

Don't use the hardware NSS pin on the STM32F4, it's not driven like a CS pin. It will always be low when the peripheral is active. Instead, initialize it as a GPIO output and manually set it low before transmission, and high afterwards.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
FAJOL.1
Associate III

ok fine. 

But why the IDE mentions "hardware NSS output signal" if Chip select is not automatically managed? In G431RB used to work automatically

Thanks

Different chips have different SPI peripherals and they behave differently. This is how it behaves on the STM32F4.

Why? Who knows, but newer chips behave differently so it feels like they recognized the issue. Just what it is. Keeping CS low is sometimes not a problem.

FAJOL.1
Associate III

They shoud change IDE SW setting maybe. Thanks

Unfortunally it doesn t work as described in the Reference Manual. I have to add manual CS meaning that I have to add layer of software (simple modification) over the HAL. 

@FAJOL.1 wrote:

Unfortunally it doesn t work as described in the Reference Manual.

Doesn't it?

@FAJOL.1 wrote:

Then the NSS goes down and stucked there forever

That is the behaviour described in the UM:

AndrewNeil_0-1726672786384.png

So, if you want it to release NSS (from the low state), you need to disable the SPI.