cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot program using JLink - "Could not verify ST device!" with real device with correct identifier

DMolo
Senior

I am unable to program any boards from CUBE IDE at the moment. I am using Segger JLink, which connects and correctly identifies the chips from the Commander.

When I use Debug, with configurations I have been using for ages, and successfully programming boards with for ages, it says ! Could not verify ST device!"

This is the same across multiple boards, f303 and f030.

I'm at a standstill because of this. The chips are genuine, they were purchased from RS components UK about a year ago.

Coincidentally, CubeIDE just updated itself...

9 REPLIES 9

Ok, and....

Are you using a real STM32 part? Is this a blue-pill board or something else?

Please expand a little

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
DMolo
Senior

Sorry, hit tab and enter and it posted. Edited now

DMolo
Senior

Specifically, the chips are STM32F303CB and STM32F030K6.

I have two boards with the f303, both have genuine chips and both used to work. The F030 is a new board, but the Jlink can see it fine. I previously programmed an F030 on a breakout board, which worked fine.

DMolo
Senior

I have tried on another computer (I have a work computer and my personal computer...) it works on one but not the other.

Unfortunately, it works on the one that I am not allowed to use.

This is some spontaneous ST software brickage, where would I begin to look?

TDK
Guru

Reboot. Does it connect with STM32 ST-Link Utility? Or STM32CubeProgrammer?

Working on one computer but not another certainly suggests the hardware is fine.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Not sure the J-Link is going to work in Utilities or Programmer.

Segger has their own test software.

Might want to double check the Segger DLL/Drivers are up to date and there's not conflicts with versions, etc.

Check GDB Server settings, function, etc

Sorry I use Keil

DMolo
Senior

Well, I repeatedly restarted, opened and closed the various Segger and ST things, something eventually triggered J-Link to auto-update... and now it spontaneously works, and I have no idea why and am none the wiser, and poorer by a few hours.

Cheers guys...

Akast.2
Associate II

@DMolo​  @Community member​ I am also facing the same issue with STM32H745I-DISCO when debugging with Segger J-link in SWD mode. I am getting error "Could not verify ST device". Do I need to use a J-link script for debugging in CubeIDE. Plz help

Why?

Is the board designed to permit this?

Review the schematic check signal paths permit an inbound connection and that those pins get to the IC and are not conflicted by the onboard ST-LINK/V3.

Check if you need to remove parts or solder bridges. ​