cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assistance Needed for Selecting STM32 MCU with Integrated Communication Capabilities

Noushadalik
Associate II

Hello,
I am new to STM32 and would appreciate your help in selecting a suitable MCU from the STM32 series for our project.

We require the following features:

- MCU with Wi-Fi, BLE, and GSM capabilities.
- GSM integration via UART, with library support for point-to-point communication to transmit sensor data to the cloud via MQTT and facilitate OTA updates through HTTPS.
- Wi-Fi capability for transmitting sensor data and conducting OTA updates via MQTT and HTTPS.
- BLE functionality is used to configure Wi-Fi and MQTT parameters.
- Support for various sensor interfaces: I2C, SPI, SDIO, UART, and ADC.

We currently use an ESP32 but need to transition to the STM32 platform. Could you recommend an appropriate MCU from the STM32 series that meets these specifications?

Additionally, I believe GSM PPP integration should be feasible with an MCU that has Ethernet support (through LWIP middleware). Is this correct? Will I also be able to perform OTA updates using the LWIP_HTTP functionality of that MCU?

Finally, could you suggest the most suitable Wi-Fi module for my application?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Your software engineers will be expected to write software.. you might need to find some different ones

FOTA, OTA, and IAP are materially the same thing.

Use whatever means you choose to implement these things, perhaps implement several. Use the protocols and methods to pull the data.

People use HTTP, to pull .BIN or .HEX, or compound files across networks. They use FTP. Some Cellular modems provide download methods, or socket methods, independently of you using PPP via a Data Mode connection.

On serial ports X-MODEM and Y-MODEM are popular due to the protocol being standard, and supported in a wealth of terminal applications spanning 4 decades.

Use MicroSD cards to hold updates, use USB MSC to read sticks, and allow drag-n-drop.

Use USB DFU methods.

Stage data locally in RAM, SDRAM, QSPI NOR FLASH, etc so they can hold complete/intact firmware images.

People use compression and encryption to protect things, sign with elliptic curve methods.

If free stacks don't come with what you need, perhaps look at commercial ones.

The more methods you provide/allow for the more future proof and flexible you can be.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
IP.2
Associate II

Try parametric search by ST's MCUFinder tool, I found it useful

STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @Noushadalik 

From yiur discreption, i can understand that you are looking for a board not an mcu. Bit let me give you suggestions for both. For an MCU, i suggest you to use the STM32H5 with ethernet support. Then, you can add ble, Wi-Fi,... Throw the available interfaces of your MCU. If the ethernet is not mendatory for your project, you can use the STM32WBA that incluid internaly the ble capability. So, you will not have to add a ble module. For boards now, it is the same think, you should use a nucleo board with a STM32H5 or an STM32WBA depending on your needs (STM32WBA does not support ethernet). I dont recommand teh discovery boards on your case since you need lot of gpios for your differents use cases. But DK Board include only Some connectors (not all MCU pins are available).

Ps: the tool recomandet by @IP.2  is really the best way to find the MCU that your are looking for. It is even available on the smartphone.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello @STTwo-32 
The primary function of our project is to collect sensor data and transmit it to a cloud platform in remote areas, which is why GSM is crucial. We aim to integrate an MCU with GSM internet via the PPP protocol, hence our choice of an MCU with the LWIP library support (Ethernet is not necessary for our project.).
I referred the sample code of ppp implementation: 
wintuvogga/STM32F407_PPPoS: This is the working example for STM32F407 and Quectel UC20 3G module as PPPoS adapter. (github.com)
Can I do OTA by using LWIP_HTTP with GSM internet via the PPP protocol?
Are there any designs available for OTA implementation via GSM?
Is the STM32F4 series a viable option for my application?

The STM32F4 is a product well tested with a very good performance. you can use it on your project. For the OTA implementation via GSM, we don't have an official implementation. But, you may find some Resorces on the Internet.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello,

Could you please provide any documentation regarding OTA (wifi or ethernet) updates for the STM32F4 series? 
Additionally, is there any sample code available for implementing OTA in STM32F4 using Cube IDE?

Thank you.

Unfortunately, there is not any official documentation about OTA on WIFI since we don't have any MCU that embeds a Wi-Fi communication. For the examples, we don't have an official one. But you may find some of them on the Internet (but we can guarantee the efficiency since they are not ST Official examples).

Best Regards.

STTwo-32  

SofLit
ST Employee

Hello @Noushadalik ,

There is no GSM nor WiFi support by STM32. You need to add external modules. Meanwhile, STM32WB55 supports the BLE: I2C, UART, SPI, ADC are available in the product but not SDIO.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

hello,
I found just one example of OTA over Ethernet (lwip_IAP) on the STM32F407 using TFTP/HTTP. Is all other OTA integration on STM32 my own implementation using the IAP main code? Am I correct?

This is completely a new question. Could you create a new post for this question (with more details) after closing this topic by selecting a "best Answer" to the answer that answered to your original question.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32