cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADC Spread using DMA in STM32H750BVT caused by internal ADC capacitor recharge issue

SFediakov
Associate II

Hi, I collecting values from ADC using DMA in my STM32H750BVT. And it have too big repetetive spread in every pin which I checked. Attaching ADC measurments array, attaching graph (y axis is bits and x axis is nr of conversion): 

SFediakov_0-1714927816866.png

0 bit results it's issue of copying data to excell, don't pay attention on that. 

That's my understanding of problem: Internal capasitor of ADC is charging and after that ADC starts conversions which slowly discharging it, after some deadtime that capasitor is recharging.

My question is how can I setup ADC to let it recharge capacitor afrer every conversion in DMA mode?

Didn't I wrongly defined root cause, did I? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You didnt tell, you are using separate AVREF , so ... i would say:

So what you see, should happen on the pin : check with scope, whats really on the pin. 

+ on Vref ... (adds directly to the ADC result)

+

TL431 is a shunt regulator - not suited here as low impedance reference.

Better use NO adc reference , just connect avref+avdd to vdd , but use a good 3,3V regulator (1% tolerance or so), this is better than fiddling around with not suited parts.

If you really need better , use a precision reference, like REF3030 . https://www.ti.com/product/de-de/REF3030

+

You cannot use internal 1,1V , see rm:

AScha3_0-1714934620425.png

you can only read it , for reference (as its name suggesting).

AScha3_1-1714934751374.png

vref is on a real world pin :

AScha3_2-1714934855990.png

AScha3_3-1714934912480.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SFediakov
Associate II

I need to add that i tried to change alot of settings of ADC in Cube MX but nothink helped, my  current setup is

SFediakov_0-1714930250632.pngSFediakov_1-1714930259821.png

Hi,

>My question is how can I setup ADC to let it recharge capacitor afrer every conversion in DMA mode?

No , the sampling cap is connected to pin on the (8.5 ticks here) sampling time - on every conversion.

So what you see, should happen on the pin : check with scope, whats really on the pin. 

+

Connect 100nF cer.cap from ADC in (this pin) to gnd. (short wires !) Then check again, what comes out.

+

You set "continuous" conversion request - you want this really ?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

I already had connected 10nf capacitor, tried without that 10nf cap and the result is the same. 

my osciloscope don't see any pulsations.

Those pulsations fully repetetive i reviewed my PCB and found nothink which can have such frequency.

I'm debuging my STM throw STlink, but I don't think it can't generate pulsations on supply line because i have near 200uf of ceramic caps near my MCU

SFediakov
Associate II

Ok, I found issue- it was my external V ref which I made using TL431. Have no idea why it pulsating, probably pullup resistor have to big value. 

SFediakov_0-1714932988677.png

Could someone direct me to the guide how to change Vref source to internal 1.1? I didn't found that information in internet

You didnt tell, you are using separate AVREF , so ... i would say:

So what you see, should happen on the pin : check with scope, whats really on the pin. 

+ on Vref ... (adds directly to the ADC result)

+

TL431 is a shunt regulator - not suited here as low impedance reference.

Better use NO adc reference , just connect avref+avdd to vdd , but use a good 3,3V regulator (1% tolerance or so), this is better than fiddling around with not suited parts.

If you really need better , use a precision reference, like REF3030 . https://www.ti.com/product/de-de/REF3030

+

You cannot use internal 1,1V , see rm:

AScha3_0-1714934620425.png

you can only read it , for reference (as its name suggesting).

AScha3_1-1714934751374.png

vref is on a real world pin :

AScha3_2-1714934855990.png

AScha3_3-1714934912480.png