cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use CubeMX functions or HAL library in functional safety projects?

BOrhu.1
Associate II

Hello,

I am developing a functional safety project in IEC 61508 standard, which requires static and unit testing of all of the functions in the project. My question is, "Can I use auto-generated CubeMX configuration functions or the HAL library in my project since they are not tested with respect to the standard?" If not, what would be the best way to configure the peripherals? Should I just copy the corresponding register values from CubeMX? Any suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Semer CHERNI
ST Employee

Hello @BOrhu.1​ 

First let me thank you for posting.

I advise you to check this link which contains docs, SW packs and training video about safety project subject.

Hope this I answered you question.

If it's the case, please mark it as best answer to be visible to other community members.

Kind regards,

Semer.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Semer CHERNI
ST Employee

Hello @BOrhu.1​ 

First let me thank you for posting.

I advise you to check this link which contains docs, SW packs and training video about safety project subject.

Hope this I answered you question.

If it's the case, please mark it as best answer to be visible to other community members.

Kind regards,

Semer.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Expect to have to test and validat​e all code throughly.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Thanks, the document seems quite helpful.

Hi again,

I have to ask a further question. I have found a thread regarding the use of HAL Driver in functional safety projects. I am putting the link below.

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000HKlNwSAL/stm32-functional-safety

Here, I believe that there is a confusion about certification. As far as I understood, the link you sent says that ST has some built-in safety features that are certified by IEC 61508. However, I was also wondering whether the modules/functions in HAL Driver is certified itself, because the thread in the link above seems to say quite the opposite.

I would appreciate a further clarification about this topic.

Kind regards,

Bartu

Loic CHOSSAT
ST Employee

STM32 devices can be used to implement safety functions and reach SIL2 or SIL3 level. You can refer to safety manuals availabe on st.com from any STM32 series. You can get a certified self-test library (X-CUBE-STL) for cpu core, flash and RAM, as well as FMEA, FMEDA documentation from ST. All this is available under a specific NDA.

Regarding STM32Cube HAL drivers, note that new developments follow a process certified according to IEC61508 SC2 level. Reports and details are available from ST under NDA. There is a plan to deploy this process on all HAL drivers in the future, with reports and details available for users.

Regarding the STM32 embedded sofware for safety, you may also contact a ST partner referenced here: https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/ecosystems/functionalsafety.html.