cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEVAL-SPIN3202 Support

CSzat
Associate II

How can the initially delivered hardware/software configurations for an "evaluation" product intended to market a suite of motor control product offerings be so poor?

NONE of the current ST software directly supports the "Active" product STEVAL-STEP3202.

All I am trying to do is spin a small 24 V 400-watt BLDC CNC "spindle" motor in open-loop, sensor-less, FOC-mode (plans were to add "hall feedback" later). The evaluation board suggests that with a simple hex binary load supplied in the available product software package, that the eval board should spin up a "generic" BLDC motor using the on-board RESET, SW1, and SW2 buttons for ON/OFF functionality and the on-board potentiometer for speed command.

NONE of the pre-compiled "binary" examples for "UART" and "Potentiometer", which are directly referenced in the STEVAL-SPIN3202 documentation, actually exist in the delivered software folders as described in the product's documentation.

So much for a quick and initial evaluation BEFORE one needs to figure out this entire motor control+software SDK scenarios just to get a motor to spin.

Neither the Cube SDK, nor the ST "Motor profiler" GUI applications, support this "Active" STEVAL-SPIN3202 board.

This removes my ability to evaluate the base electrical parameters of the motor before tuning it completely with the SDK.

That is a huge failing on ST's product marketing team in my opinion.

This is after all an "EVAL" board. Getting it properly configured should not require an "inside technical contact" at ST.

I have the entire software stack loaded and running (using the Keil IDE) and can configure and download the projects's hex code to the board, but the motor whines for a bit and never actually begins to "rotate" before it soon trips out with an"Over-current" fault.

No matter what I set the over-current/shunt settings to, the small BLDC motor never rotates and always faults on "over-current".

Additionally, how does the motor control "software" know about the position of the three jumpers on the board which determine whether the board itself is in "6-step" vs "Field Oriented Control"? I seem to get different faults from the Motor Control Workbench "Monitor" application depending on the installed positions of these jumpers.

But really the question is: 

**Why is this board not more directly supported in the entire suite of support software offerings?

18 REPLIES 18
JRich.5
Associate

I'm finding out the hard way that the documentation is still terrible for the STEVAL-3204 and there are no useful tutorials or videos. In hindsight, I would not recommend having anything to do with ST Micro motor control products.

PKAci.1
Associate II

I too share the same experience. Immense frustration trying to make these boards work with 2 completely different motors and methods. Sensored and sensorless. 12 pole pairs vs 24.. All i get is alignment spin then this 2 second buzzing.

SVlac.1
Associate

I too share the same experience. Immense frustration trying to make these boards work with 2 completely different motors and methods. Sensored and sensorless. 2 pole pairs vs 6.. All i get is alignment spin then this 2 second buzzing. Terrible story with no help from ST. I would not recommend having anything to do with ST Micro motor control products.

Claire O.
ST Employee

​Dear customers,

I am terribly sorry you had such bad experience.

Some progress at our side that I hope will help you:

We have now  6step examples running out of the box available in our new MCSDK5.Y (not MCSDK5.4.6)  for STEVAL_STSPIN3202  and they are visible from first page of MC Workbench.

Thanks and best regards,

Claire

Laurent Ca...
Lead II

The question has been moved from the "Motor Control Hardware" section to the "STM32 Motor Control" section (the question is about the STM32 MC SDK). 

Best regards

PPand.1
Associate II

i'm purches STEVAL_SPIN302 new board. i dont know how it will be work.any lead for this?

STEVAL-SPIN3202

It will work with some tweaks and a great deal of guessing. Better try your luck with TI, ADI or Infineon.

Sir,

While playing with STEVAL-SPIN3202 Board , I have mistakenly dump the motor program using External USB ST-LINK V2, while asked to remove protection I have selected yes.

Now connecting STEVAL-SPIN3202 board using USB PORT I am unable to detect the board.

how to detect Board again using built in USB interface, or Re-flash old firmware?