cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST Board Selection

rhaskins
Associate

Hello,

I am an electrical engineering student working on a design for a product. We would like to use an ST motor control board in our design which would be a 3-phase inverter to run an AC induction motor at variable speeds. The motor we have requires a large current and as a result we need high power external MOSFETs and MOSFET drivers to switch the power required, which is supplied from a battery pack.

We had a P-NUCLEO-IHM001 development kit lying around which we have started working with and learning the STM32IDE with. This kit has the F302R8 control board and IHM07M1 power board. The issue we've run into is connecting to the switching signals for the onboard transistors. As per the datasheets, the switching signal is sent as six IN/EN signals instead of the 6 separate high and low side pwm logic signals we need for most mosfet drivers. 

Is there a different board better suited to the use of external mosfets? I understand that this is an unusual use of these boards but we've found the CubeIDE a good way to work on the motor control algorithm, especially since we will be using 2 external potentiometers to vary the speeds and fwd/rev.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
AScha.3
Chief II

for high power...look here:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-motor-control/which-board-is-suitable-for-this-motor-quot-mahle-48-volt-3-3kw/td-p/592210

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
FouadB
ST Employee

Hello,

You can use the power board X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1 as an example, which does not require an enable signal (unlike IHM07M1) to drive the half bridge gate driver.

Regards

If you agree with my answer, please accept it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'."