cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCWB 6.1.2 Doesn't allow hall sensor + QuadEnc

Bryce Schober
Associate III

The MCWB 6.1.2 doesn't allow the configuration of of both hall sensor and quadrature encoder as speed/position sensors in main/auxiliary speed sensor configurations. It looks like the only conflict is in timer input pin allocation, but it seems like an artificial limitation that is somehow dictated by the project generator's contraints. The current project I refer to is using the NUCLEO-G431RB, but I tried this on many board/CPU platforms, including those that had more timers and many more pins.

What is the limitation here? Why aren't the timer peripheral usages more configurable? Is this constraint somehow encoded into template files that would be reasonable to edit?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello Mr Schober,

Since MCSDK6.x, if a conflict is detected in the pinout configuration of the project, it is not possible to generate the project. This limitation is managed by the workbench's GUI interface and is not encoded into template files. Unfortunately, the configuration combining both Hall sensor and Encoder has never been tested in our environment.

However, it could be easily added to our test plan if this configuration is supposed to be used by our users.

I have checked the next MCSDK6.2 release (release coming in a few days on st.com), and there is a combination of boards (control: B-G473E & power: STEVAL-LVLP01) that will allow you to generate a project using both sensors.

example:

FouadB_0-1695717973069.png

But please note that this configuration has not been validated.

However, it may assist you in building your own project by comparing it to the generated project.

Regards

If you agree with my answer, please accept it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SRedd.5
Senior III

The Hall or encoder is used for rotor position sensing, you are required to use either hall or encoder and not required to use both at the same time. Why do you want to use both at the same time?

Bryce Schober
Associate III

I assumed that the auxiliary speed sensor configuration was intended to be capable of two physical sensing strategies, but apparently it is intended only for a virtual observer vs. physical sensors?

Yes that is correct.

Hello Mr Schober,

Since MCSDK6.x, if a conflict is detected in the pinout configuration of the project, it is not possible to generate the project. This limitation is managed by the workbench's GUI interface and is not encoded into template files. Unfortunately, the configuration combining both Hall sensor and Encoder has never been tested in our environment.

However, it could be easily added to our test plan if this configuration is supposed to be used by our users.

I have checked the next MCSDK6.2 release (release coming in a few days on st.com), and there is a combination of boards (control: B-G473E & power: STEVAL-LVLP01) that will allow you to generate a project using both sensors.

example:

FouadB_0-1695717973069.png

But please note that this configuration has not been validated.

However, it may assist you in building your own project by comparing it to the generated project.

Regards

If you agree with my answer, please accept it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'."