cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P-NUCLEO-IHM03 not working as described in the Getting Started

SGall.1
Associate II

New P-NUCLEO-IHM03 purchased from Mouser does not work right out of the box. The P-NUCLEO-IHM03 has the firmware pre-installed. After pushing Blue start/stop button, the motor starts but fails to continue.

Connecting to X-CUBE-MCSDK, the SDK shows that a fault is thrown and the motor shuts down. The P-NUCLEO-IHM03 Black button needs to be pressed to clear the fault, but the motor still does not continue to run upon Blue button start.

This is not the behavior described in the getting started, or the videos about the P-NUCLEO-IHM03 or the X-CUBE-MCSDK.

Re-programming with the P-NUCLEO-IHM03 with the example project does not fix the fault.

I do not believe the P-NUCLEO-IHM03 should behave this way. Do I have a bad one? Should I get a new one?

6 REPLIES 6
cedric H
ST Employee

Hello @SGall.1​ ,

Could you confirm that you are using the Gimbal motor provided with the IHM03 kit ?

What is the error reported by the MC Pilot ?

Did you re-program it with the MCSDK 6.1 ?

Regards

Cedric

Hello Cederic. The error is Start Up Failure and is reported by ST Motor Pilot V1.13 . The motor is the gimbal motor provided with the kit. No markings on the motor, but literature and MC Workbench says GimBal GBM2804H-100T . Thank you for helping. Stephen. Sent from Mail<> for Windows
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello @SGall.1 (Community Member)​ ,

I have tried to reproduce your problem, and everything is working fine on my end.

If this is no firmware problem, as the pre-installed firmware should be working correctly, then the problem might come from a phase of the motor which is not well connected, or a bad contact.

However, I have a set of questions to make sure this is not a firmware issue :

• What IDE did you use when compiling with the example project ?
  • Have you tried the MCSDK 6.1 or did you stick with the version 5.4 as shown in the getting started video ?
  • When loading example projects, a .txt file should pop up with instructions on how to run the example, did you follow them ?

Hoping this will help

Gaël A.

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.
Hello Gael. A, Out of the box, the pre-installed firmware had the issue. B, I did pull out both 3phase and power connectors, and unscrewed wires, re-screwed, and re-plugged the connectors. Same issue. C, I have verified that all jumpers are as indicated in the P-NUCLEO-IHM03 website. Same issue. D, IDE. Remember that the issue existed out-of-the-box with the ore-installed firmware prior to re-loading firmware. I used MC Workbench 6.1.0, STM32CubeMX 6.7.0, STM32CubeIDE 1.2.0 E, I did not get a txt file pop up. However, I followed instructions based on the P-NUCLEO-IHM03 website. The getting started and user manuals, and the videos provided there. Note again, I had the issue out-of-the-box with the pre-installed firmware. Thank you. Stephen. Sent from Mail<> for Windows
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello @SGall.1 (Community Member)​,

I have conducted a further investigation of your problem using several IHM03 kits coming from the factory and having firmware pre-installed. All of them are working perfectly fine. Thus, the firmware should not be the blocking point here.

I have also tried the P-IHM03-Potentiometer example. Be mindful not to let the potentiometer on minimum value, as it can indeed result to a failure at start up due to low speed command. This may be the problem you were facing from the beginning, as the pre-installed firmware is in fact a version of the potentiometer example.

Otherwise, if you followed instructions from videos and user manuals correctly, and I believe you did, I see no other possible issue than hardware. As I said in my precedent post, it may be a bad contact, or a defective component. Unfortunately, you may have to replace some of them.

Hoping this will help

Gaël A.

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.
tejas_amp
Associate III

Has your issue solved? What is the solution?