cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P-NUCLEO-IHM03 giving startup failure

tejas_amp
Associate III

The P-NUCLEO-IHM03 with type selected as "FOC" has the firmware pre-installed. After pushing Blue start/stop button, the motor starts but fails to continue.

In Motor pilot, it is showing that a fault is thrown (startup failure) and the motor shuts down. The P-NUCLEO-IHM03 Black button needs to be pressed to clear the fault, but the motor still does not continue to run upon Blue button start.

Control Board: NUCLEO-G431RB  
Power Board: X-NUCLEO-IHM16M1
Motor: Gimbal GBM2804H-100Tthis.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello tejas_amp,

The picture was taken with an Open Loop setup, however you would expect the same behavior from a Closed Loop.

Well if you have another IHM16 then it won't hurt to try. I highly doubt that a simple change of computer has made your project unfunctional. The problem lies elsewhere, though I have my opinion on its whereabouts : it is very likely to be from the IHM16.

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello tejas_amp,

This is a weird issue. Is your motor stator fixed correctly ?
If your issue still persists, you can try tinkering with the start-up sequence via MotorPilot. Firstly I would try to reduce the target current to 1Amp, and increase the start-up ramp time (second line of the table).

If all fails, I suggest you generate a new project using the MCSDK 6.3.0 and see how it goes.

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.
tejas_amp
Associate III

Yes i stator is fixed correctly.
Where is the option for reducing the target current to 1Amp in Motor Pilot (see screenshot below). I tried increasing ramp time but it didn't work.

I have already tried generating new project from MCSDK 6.3.0 many times but same issue persists.

this2.png

Hello tejas_amp,

You can access the revup procedure by clicking on the "revup" tab next to "Application"
I recommend modifying the start-up time using the revup table. The "Speed Ramp" square is more useful for creating speed ramp when your motor is already turning.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

It has started working better. When i feeded the table in revup section (see screen shot). But after reaching the last entry of the table, Pilot again shows Startup Failure. Whatever last value, i feed in the table it goes till it and then startup failure. Why so? this3.png

I am getting this in logs
logs.png

Gael A
ST Employee

Hello tejas_amp,

The way I see things here, you have a 6-STEP project (or you loaded the MotorPilot with the wrong GUI), which is not the default setup of the IHM16 when shipped with a P-NUCLEO-IHM03. Have you checked that your IHM16 hardware is correctly set ?

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.
tejas_amp
Associate III

Okay. I have loaded correct version now but still issue is same. Running till last entry and then startup failure. Please help. 

this5.png

When it reaches 900 rpm, it stops and shows startup failure.

this6.png

Gael A
ST Employee

Hello again tejas_amp,

Okay then could you try to Reset GUI to Default in the MotorPilot GUI tab, and then try the Discover Board button and then see how that goes please ?

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

Done. Please see edited reply above.

Dear tejas_amp,

The following setup is working fine for me, have you tried with something similar ? Don't hesitate to have a look at the Advanced Configuration.
Gimball_Setup.PNG
You could also try to reduce the target speed to 400rpm (leave the first line at 0rpm, otherwise your motor won't align)
Another idea would be to increase the duration of the 2nd phase (1164ms one in my snapshot)

If this does not work, I would advise you to generate an Open Loop project (you can find the guide in the User Manual) and have a look at your Ia and Ib currents, it will help you determine whether there is something wrong with your HW, as the project should work out of the box.
Also, could you tell me which IDE you are using please ?

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.