cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Problem: My motor only runs when its max current is set to much less than its actual max current rating.

Popeye
Associate III

Hi, I have a 14-pole outrunner that's rated for 30A, but I get an overcurrent error every time. That changed when I tried changing its max current from 30A to 5A.

I still get two problems: 1) the motor never snaps to set speed, only oscillates about it; 2) when I load the rotor, I get a speed feedback error--I want the motor to increase torque to match the new torque demand when I apply a load to the rotor. This last point is my most important requirement.

I'll add that since auto-calculation of Kp and Ki for speed control is turned on, I'm wondering if it's worth trying to tune my motor parameters (Rs and Ls)? Using a motor config wizard from VESC, I obtained different values. I multiply them by 2 because I believe VESC gives phase resistance and inductance while ST Profiler gives line resistance and inductance. This new number gives something convincing.

1 REPLY 1
Popeye
Associate III

I've changed max current to 10A, and things still work. Changing Speed Ki and Kp values helps with the oscillations. A lot. Turns out the auto-calculated Ki and Kp values just aren't good. This is why, in the motor profiler, the "Play" function didn't work well for me. As for the motor loading, this can be fixed, I suspect, with tuning of torque Ki and Kp. I've already had some success here but not to the level that I've seen with the VESC.

I haven't touched Rs and Ls, so that's good, and I get less errors like "speed feedback fault", so that's good. I'll let know if after all my tuning the overcurrent fault disappears, too, when I set the max current in the software to the motor's true max.