cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motor will spin up with motor profiler, but no other way - B-G431B - draws no current even.

adoug.11
Associate II

I have, after overcoming many hurdles, finally succeeded in getting the motor to spin up and be profiled. I didn't really need the profiling information as I already had the motor characteristics, however it helps as a double check. The thing is, neither then motor pilot nor the firmware produced by the motor control SDK can spin up the motor. The pilot tool appears to use the same settings as the firmware, for motor startup procedure, by default.

I have tried re-generating the firmware, and different settings in the motor pilot, with every even slightly promising combination.

The hardware must work on some level because the firmware used by the motor pilot was able to get things rolling. It did have a little difficulty starting up, but after several tries succeeded.

The power supply indicates that 70mA are being drawn, regardless of whether the motor is trying to start or not, thus indicating that almost no current is being sent through the motor during the open loop acceleration phase. It makes a slight ringing noise, and that's all.

The settings in motor pilot and elsewhere clearly indicate there is much more current specified as what should be going through the motor. I have checked all connections, and they appear to all be sound.

I am asking for help, please don't leave me hanging. I probably require help from someone at ST. It's become clear no community member or myself can budge this problem at this point. If I cannot get help then I don't think I will be able to use ST products in my system. I need to know if the processor and system is capable of driving the motor at the required speed, and what it sounds like, which I can only know by testing.

I am making ventilators, this is for a high performance, ultra quiet fan that reverses direction rapidly and often. The motor is a typical gimbal motor, very similar to the one in the examples.

Here are the project files for the latest incarnation of the firmware, with all project files ( all 1500 of them...):

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kF9_-XwzrUmop54WdXx2cyAQofPSEnTF?usp=share_link

11 REPLIES 11
Zied b.
ST Employee

Hello ,

I will try to help you.

Can you give me more indication on how you want to use the ESC-B-G431B card ? You want to control the motor with a Pwm signal ?

And first suggestion, With 6.1.1 SDK, can you profile your motor with motor profiler, and after profiling without close the motor pilote , switch to MC_FOC_SDK GUI and try to run your motor.

Is your motor running?

Save your profiled motor with Mc profiler and import it on the workbench when you selected the motor, generate a new project, flash it and try too run your motor with Motor pilot.

If you agree with my answer, please accept it by clicking on "Accept as solution".
adoug.11
Associate II

Hi Zied, thanks, I seriously need the help. This is the sixth motor driver I have tried, none of the others were able to drive my motor in the required way.

I have already done what you describe. I was able to profile the motor, but only once. Now, the profiler says the MCU is not compatible. Same computer, same software, same board.

Motor pilot cannot start the motor. It uses the same startup routine that is programmed into the controller. The same behaviour is exhibited whether I use motor pilot or just try to use the PWM input and press the button on the board to start the motor.

I have a PWM signal generator, which I have verified is working properly using an oscilloscope.

I need to be able to control the power and direction of the motor. It has to be quiet and energy efficient. I noticed there is no way to make the motor reverse direction yet, however I can figure that out later, or I can control the motor over serial using the ASPEP protocol.

The first step is to get the motor to start. As I indicated, there appears to be almost no current going through the motor.

Zied b.
ST Employee

Hello @adoug.1​ 

We will try to solve the problem step by step.

first step it is not normal that the profiler does not recognize your MCU.

Can you disconnect any other application (CubeProgrammer, Cube Ide...), launch the Motor pilot, then select the profiler, make an automatic detection and tell me what happens, if possible provide me with screen shots?

Please do these steps with the MCSDK 6.1.1 and therefore the motor pilot version 1.1.5

Thanks

If you agree with my answer, please accept it by clicking on "Accept as solution".
adoug.11
Associate II

The version 6.1.1 of the motor control workbench and the motor profiler included in it hangs at the stage where the profiler is trying to connect to the board. The board and everything else works, I am able to program the board using Arduino.

This is where it hangs.

So, to be clear, there are two different errors. This is the one that occurs with version 6.1.1 of the sdk. I had that problem before and tried to uninstall it and install 6.1.0. That was able to flash the firmware once, but then it gave the error thereafter that is discussed above, where it said the MCU was not supported.0693W00000aIOMuQAO.png

Zied b.
ST Employee

Hello @adoug.1​ ,

Can you connect your board with StM32 Cube Programmer and send me a screenshot of your interface?

After that can you try to erase the memory of the MCU on Cube programmer (Erase button on the bottom left of Cube programmer Gui ) and try profiling again ?

Thanks

adoug.11
Associate II

Here is the screenshot of the connection working fine in stm32 cube programmer:0693W00000aIOMuQAO.png

Zied b.
ST Employee

Hello @adoug.1​ 

I think you sent the wrong screenshot.

Thanks

adoug.11
Associate II

I erased the memory using stm32cube programmer, it gave the dialog box that said the memory was erased. I tried the motor pilot and profiler again. Neither one can connect to the microcontroller. Exactly the same behaviour as before.

The memory appears to have been erased sucessfully, because when I apply power to the board and press the button it does not even try to spin up the motor or beep.

Zied b.
ST Employee

Can you send me the right screenshot of cube programmer?

Thanks