cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you set up sensored six-step control? (in a kit, that supports it, but doesn't have an example file for it)

minozemstan
Associate II

I'm building a project around the B-G431B-ESC1 board, that claims to support hall sensored 6-step control, but in motor bench there are no example files for this (only sensorless electric speed control files). I know you are supposed to generate files in motor bench and then set six step control method in CubeMX. But when I do that, I get bunch of errors in CubeIDE that I'm missing many necessary library files. When I link them in project options for compiler files from different project (that is FOC and does have them), I get the same errors. When I go back to Motor Control and update the same project (which theoretically should add those needed libraries) it rewrites the code and sets the control method to FOC (like it would ignore anything you'd set inside CubeMX).

So my question is how to set up six step control?

I've spent enormous amount of time trying to resolve this, but to no avail.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cedric H
ST Employee

Hello @minozemstan​ ,

Unfortunately in the MCSDK version 5.X the 6 steps is not fully integrated and a minimal support is provided only through examples. If your configuration is not part of the examples list, then there is no straightforward way to generate a 6-steps project. From hardware point of view the B-G431B-ESC1 board is capable to do 6 steps control with or without sensors. We are preparing a new version of the MCSDK (version 6) that will bring the 6-steps support at the same level than the FOC with a limited number of supported board first. (but the B-G431B-ESC1 is part of them). The availability on st.com is planed for end of March.

Best Regards

Cedric

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
cedric H
ST Employee

Hello @minozemstan​ ,

Unfortunately in the MCSDK version 5.X the 6 steps is not fully integrated and a minimal support is provided only through examples. If your configuration is not part of the examples list, then there is no straightforward way to generate a 6-steps project. From hardware point of view the B-G431B-ESC1 board is capable to do 6 steps control with or without sensors. We are preparing a new version of the MCSDK (version 6) that will bring the 6-steps support at the same level than the FOC with a limited number of supported board first. (but the B-G431B-ESC1 is part of them). The availability on st.com is planed for end of March.

Best Regards

Cedric

minozemstan
Associate II

I've seen plans for version 6, but now I'm really looking forward to it. Thank you very much for your answer!

Any news about generall six step support release.

When is the next version 6 update with spin32g4 support coming.

JJame.5
Associate

Hi @minozemstan (Local area Part),

Tragically in the MCSDK variant 5. X the 6 stages isn't completely coordinated and a little help is given exclusively through models. In the event that your setup isn't essential for the model's list, then, at that point, there is no direct method for producing a 6-steps project. According to an equipment perspective, the B-G431B-ESC1 board is fit to complete 6 stages of control regardless of sensors. We are setting up another rendition of the MCSDK (form 6) that will bring the 6-step support to a similar level to the FOC with a predetermined number of the upheld boards first. (in any case, the B-G431B-ESC1 is essential for them). The accessibility on st.com is planned for the end of Spring.

Best Respects

Dear JJame,

Can you upload the 6-step example for the B-G431B-ESC1. It's neither in 5.Y.4 nor in version 6.

So it still looks like (in MC WorkBench 6.1.1) I can't select 6 step when I select B-G431B-ESC1. Is there still no way to generate an example 6 step project for this hardware?

Hello @MAnde.11​ ,

I just tried successfully to generate a 6 steps project for B-G431B-ESC1 with MC WorkBench 6.1.1. If you click on 6 steps and inverter on the general page, the ESC board is proposed among the inverters list.

Could you tell me more about the issue you are facing ?

Regards

Cedric

I see that now. If you select the example you can't change to 6 step, but if you start from the beginning with a project using the B-G431B-ESC1 you can.