cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H753: Ethernet & LWIP: SW Reset does not come and triggers timeout

Moe
Associate II

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get the Ethernet interface on the STM32H753ZIT up and running using CubeMX. The goal is that I can ping the µC. It is not an Evalboard but a self developed board. Unfortunately I don't have the schematic.

I have already searched very intensive the internet and worked through different tutorials but I always have the same error: during the initialization of the lwip stack at the following position in the 

stm32h7xx_hal_eth.c a timeout is triggered:

/* Wait for software reset */
  while (READ_BIT(heth->Instance->DMAMR, ETH_DMAMR_SWR) > 0U)
  {
    if (((HAL_GetTick() - tickstart) > ETH_SWRESET_TIMEOUT))
    {
      /* Set Error Code */
      heth->ErrorCode = HAL_ETH_ERROR_TIMEOUT;
      /* Set State as Error */
      heth->gState = HAL_ETH_STATE_ERROR;
      /* Return Error */
      return HAL_ERROR;
    }
  }

In different forums the above mentioned problem was solved by changing the

APB4 frequency was changed. I have also tried various frequencies, unfortunately without success. It is often mentioned that the problem is related to the clock line. Interestingly, apparently only self-developed boards are affected by the problem, so no Evalboards!

The manufacturer of the PCB still stated that the signals MDIO and MDC are not used. I cannot switch off the two signals in CubeMX, because otherwise the complete Ethernet interface is switched off. The manufacturer then provided me with a firmware, with which the Ethernet interface can be put into operation. So the signals MDIO and MDC are apparently not mandatory for a ping.

1st question:

Is it possible to create a working CubeMX project at all if the MDIO and MDC lines are not used on the HW but are still active in CubeMX?

2nd question:

Does anyone have an idea how I solve the problem with the timeout mentioned above? Or does anyone have a guess why no SW reset is triggered?

To keep the thread clear I have added the main.c and my IOC file to the attachment. If there is any information missing, please let me know. I will add them as soon as possible.

I thank you for your help and would be glad about answers.

4 REPLIES 4
LCE
Principal

In my source, check the comment on top.

So, are the GPIOs set correctly?

Is the PHY providing a clock? Grab a scope and check.

/* Ethernet Software reset */
	/* Set the SWR bit: resets all MAC subsystem internal registers and logic */
	/* After reset all the registers holds their respective reset values */
	/* Note: The SWR is not performed if the ETH_RX_CLK or the ETH_TX_CLK are
				not available, please check your external PHY or the IO configuration */
	ETH->DMAMR |= ETH_DMAMR_SWR;
	/* wait for software reset to reset... */
	u32TickStart = HAL_GetTick();
	while( ETH->DMAMR & ETH_DMAMR_SWR )
	{
		/* timeout ? */
		if( (HAL_GetTick() - u32TickStart ) > ETH_TIMEOUT_SWRESET_MS )
		{
			uart_printf("# ERR: ETH_DMAMR_SWR software reset TO\n\r");
			return HAL_TIMEOUT;
		}
	}

canerthecaner
Associate

Did you solve this problem? I have some problem and I tried everthing

Me too.  I have no idea, I should to do.

Hi,

I encounter the same issue and wrote a post for it:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubemx-mcus/software-reset-fails-in-eth-configuration-for-lwip-with-f407/m-p/659641#M27794

In my case, I am pretty sure that the GPIOs configuration are correct for F407VE as it works on F407ZG, and the ETH_RX_CLK and the ETH_TX_CLK are checked by calling the following MACROs:

#define __HAL_RCC_ETHMAC_IS_CLK_ENABLED() ((RCC->AHB1ENR & (RCC_AHB1ENR_ETHMACEN)) != RESET)

#define __HAL_RCC_ETHMACTX_IS_CLK_ENABLED() ((RCC->AHB1ENR & (RCC_AHB1ENR_ETHMACTXEN)) != RESET)

#define __HAL_RCC_ETHMACRX_IS_CLK_ENABLED() ((RCC->AHB1ENR & (RCC_AHB1ENR_ETHMACRXEN)) != RESET)

As for your question: Is the PHY providing a clock?

Which clock do you mean? Could you give the signal name of this clock?

Regards

Chao