cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H7_PTP Connection through Ethernet

Gianni7315
Associate

Hello,

I have managed to generate a IP through the LWIP in the STM32 IDE and establish a connection via Ethernet, although now when I upload the files from hasseb/stm32h7_atsame70_ptpd: IEEE 1588 PTP daemon for STM32H7 and ATSAME70 (github.com) 

I seem to have a large portion of the code in the main.c file greyed out.

As well, I'm not sure if it is concerning that there is a warning saying "_gettimeofday is not implemented and will always fail". I found some documentation stating this is not too much of a concern, as it's only a warning and not an Error.

Furthermore, I have tried getting an output using this function just as a test and no luck: 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42747128/does-hal-gettick-return-ticks-or-milliseconds-and-how-to-measure-in-microsec/42749284#42749284

__weak HAL_StatusTypeDef HAL_InitTick(uint32_t TickPriority)

{

/*configuring the SysTick to have an interrupt in 1ms time basis*/

HAL_SYSTICK_Config(SystemCoreClock /1000);

/*Configure the SysTick IRQ priority */

HAL_NVIC_SetPriority(SysTick_IRQn, TickPriority ,0);

/* Return function status */

return HAL_OK;

}

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
STea
ST Employee

Hello @Gianni7315 ,

In fact, the example you are following is supporting PTP with a software implementation but on your product, it can be sone by Hardware which support this feature more details on this can be found in the reference manual section 58.5.4 IEEE 1588 timestamp support have a look especially at the explanation of PTP timestamp offload function in this section.

Regards

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
STea
ST Employee

Hello @Gianni7315 ,

In fact, the example you are following is supporting PTP with a software implementation but on your product, it can be sone by Hardware which support this feature more details on this can be found in the reference manual section 58.5.4 IEEE 1588 timestamp support have a look especially at the explanation of PTP timestamp offload function in this section.

Regards

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
LCE
Principal

@STea :

the H7 hardware PTP support is looking really good, but even better would be an example from ST to make this actually work.

I'm using an adapted version of the PTPd mentioned above, started with that on an F767, then migrated it to H7, but have no time to change it using more of the H7 hardware features.

STea
ST Employee

Hello @LCE ,

Thank you for your request and constructive feedback. I will try to make a quick guide on the setup of PTP using the Hardware features stay tuned.
regards