cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 eval board for Ethernet

Jian Chen
Associate II

Hi,

I have a project that needs to transfer full chunk of data from 1G bytes flash memory to computer with 2048 bytes at each tranfer. The total time has to be less than 20min. I am going to use STM32 with ethernet communication to accomplish this.

Do you know any eval board and micro part number I can buy to accomplish this project? Do I need to use a stack?

Thanks,

Jian

6 REPLIES 6

The H745I-DISCO has a 4GB eMMC and Ethernet w/POE

You'll need to bring your own software and expertise.

If you need to use TCP/IP, then you'll need a stack. If you can send Ethernet 802.3 frames, you'd just need a basic driver.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Piranha
Chief II

Also, if flash memory includes SD cards, then STM32F7 discovery boards are also an option. And, if flash memory includes USB MSC devices, then it's pretty much any board with Ethernet, starting from NUCLEO-F207ZG.

If network performance is of a doubt, then here is an example of what STM32F7 can do with a proper firmware:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000AhNBoWSQW/actually-working-stm32-ethernet-and-lwip-demonstration-firmware

But be warned - that is not possible with ST's drivers and other code. Therefore it's not possible to do it with clicking CubeMX. As Clive already said, you'll have to develop real code.

Payload nominally 1500 bytes

Jian Chen
Associate II

​Thanks for the reply, Clive and Piranha.

I am new to Ethernet.  I just need to connect STM32 to a ST Micro NAND Flash NAND08GW3B2A with 8 line parallel IO bus.  After micro read each page of 2048 bytes STM32 will send to PC through Ethernet cable and save to a hex file.  Is there a quick way to develop the PC software with VB.net?  And which Demo board I can use to start developing Etherent code with examples?  My main goal is to send 2048 bytes through Etherent as fast as possible.

I attached the datasheet of the ST micro NAND flash.  Thanks for the help!

That's a pretty old and obsolete part. So are you trying to copy some existing components?

I'm not looking for projects to work on.

Jian Chen
Associate II

​I can use UM1709(attached) to get started.  But the difference is that page 9, figure 4, instead of press "Put" button, I need to press "Get" button.  But I don't have a file name from the server (STM32) side to enter into Remote File field as required from Tftpd32.  How to solve this issue?  I need to read data from STM32 to PC through ethernet.

I am able to read the NAND08GW3B2A data.  I just don't know how to tranfer data to PC from STM32 with Ethernet.