cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Byte pool for ThreadX

flaming_vines
Associate II

Hi,

I am having issues with threadX tx_byte_allocate throwing a hard fault exception. 

This only happens after some time of byte allocate and release. There are still plenty of available bytes according to the pool. But somehow in _tx_byte_pool_search it encounters some problem. 

I am not posting the entire source code here as that will be huge. Anyway, I am using STM32H753. I created a byte pool using DTCRAM (128K).

Linker snippet:

RAM (xrw) : ORIGIN = 0x20000000, LENGTH = 128K

.ram_dtcmram :

{

*(.ram_dtcmram)

} >RAM

Code Snippet

#define RAM_DTCMRAM \

__attribute__((section(".ram_dtcmram")))

#define GENERIC_MEM_ALLOCATION (0x20000-0x1000)

static u8 m_genericMemBytePoolBuffer[GENERIC_MEM_ALLOCATION] RAM_DTCMRAM;

static TX_BYTE_POOL m_genericMemBytePool RAM_D3;

bool Hal_MemPool_Init(void)

{

if (tx_byte_pool_create(&m_genericMemBytePool, "Generic memory pool", m_genericMemBytePoolBuffer , GENERIC_MEM_ALLOCATION) != TX_SUCCESS){

return FALSE;

}

return TRUE;

}

This  is the screenshot of the pool when the hard fault happens. byte pool available is still more than 50k

flaming_vines_0-1698198224139.png

Below are the local variables during the fault. As you can see current pointer goes to 0x2492bc7e. That memory is not available for H753 and obviously will throw a hard fault error trying to access this memory.

Specifically on line below inside the do while(examine_blocks != ((UINT) 0)) loop

work_ptr = TX_UCHAR_POINTER_ADD(current_ptr, (sizeof(UCHAR *)));

free_ptr = TX_UCHAR_TO_ALIGN_TYPE_POINTER_CONVERT(work_ptr);

if ((*free_ptr) == TX_BYTE_BLOCK_FREE) //<-----------HARD FAULT

Now my question is why? Clearly, I have enough available bytes in the pool. You can also see below that the memory required is only 256 bytes. Even if the memory gets fragmented, I am pretty confident there is a block with 256 bytes free on it. Besides, ThreadX is supposed to merge those splits or fragments. Which is also stated in the pool above (tx_byte_pool_performance_merge_count)

flaming_vines_1-1698198356976.png

Version of ThreadX is 

flaming_vines_2-1698199284021.png

Not that it matters I think, I made the pool  m_genericMemBytePool the same RAM as the m_genericMemBytePoolBuffer to dtcmram. Same outcome.

Thanks,

Carlo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
1 REPLY 1
christop
ST Employee