cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am using a STM407VET6 development board, and when I connect it via USB, it is recognized as "STM32 ST-Link" as a USB device, but not as a VCP. How can I solve this problem?

tacchi
Associate II

18 REPLIES 18

Already made wire connections but It was not recognized as a Virtual COM Port in Device Manager.

Could it be that this device does not allow serial communication using TeraTerm or similar?

Have you upgrade the ST-LINK firmware uisng STM32CubeProgrammer or such? The tool should state the link type: Debug+MSC+VCP

hth

KnarfB

Yes.

Already upgraded.0693W00000QMpDYQA1.jpg

Maybe you have the old STM32F4DISCOVERY and not a STM32F407G-DISC1?

running out of ideas

KnarfB

Yes.

I have STM32F407V"E"​T6, not STM32F407VGT6(F407G-DISC).

I can write a program to the microcontroller and blink LEDs, etc., but UART communication (VCPs such as COM4 and COM5 do not appear in the device manager) is not possible using Teraterm, etc.

Okay. Footnote on page 12 of UM1472 Rev 7 states that VCP does not apply to that board. They have probably changed the ST-LINK chip. You can add an external UART to USB adapter (FT232).

hth

KnarfB

Does this mean that this device will not allow UART communication with a PC without an additional USB adapter(FT232)?

This

• is not a genuine ST board, it's a clone
  • as the STLink is STM32F103C8T6, it cannot support the STLinkV2-A firmware which has the VCP (that would require STM32F103CBT6), only the older STLinkV2 firmware without VCP

JW

Understood.

Thank you very much.