cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create a web server using w5500 and bluepill

Mahsa8289
Associate II

hey there! is it possible to create a webserver with bluepill and w5500? where should I find an example of this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @Mahsa8289 and welcome to the ST Community 😊.

Such a combination should be possible (STM32F103+ W5500). For the examples, you may find some on Github or by other users. I've personally found this Library (not an ST official library but just to give an example). 

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @Mahsa8289 and welcome to the ST Community 😊.

Such a combination should be possible (STM32F103+ W5500). For the examples, you may find some on Github or by other users. I've personally found this Library (not an ST official library but just to give an example). 

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

To learn how to use the Wiznet W5500, go to the Wiznet Product Page for the W5500:

AndrewNeil_0-1709122415894.png

Note the links to Technical Documentation, Drivers, and Support.

Following the 'ioLibrary' link:

AndrewNeil_1-1709122534825.png

thanks for replying! I'm using STM32CubeIDE. Do you know if there's an example available for this?

As @STTwo-32 mentioned, it's a 3rd-party library - so you'd have to ask that 3rd party for support.

EDIT

But the documentation is pretty clear that it is an Arduino library...

The example I've given is just a suggestion, you can find others on the Web. Or you can also think about contacting the 3rd party for more details. Also, we have other products (STM32H7,...) that include ethernet capability and you can find some examples on the same subject.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@Mahsa8289 wrote:

is it possible to create a webserver with bluepill and w5500? 

Certainly, it's possible - people were creating webservers on 8051s decades ago.

Whether it's worthwhile is another question:

• Why not choose an STM32 with Ethernet?
  • Why not use something like a Raspberry Pi?

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

Here's an example using a Nucleo-F103RB board and an Arduino WS5100 shield:

AndrewNeil_2-1709129864958.png

https://www.carminenoviello.com/2015/08/28/adding-ethernet-connectivity-stm32-nucleo/

It's using plain Eclipse rather than the STM32CubeIDE - but that should be close enough to get you going...

It uses the Wiznet ioLibrary - mentioned earlier - which also supports your WS5500...

Thinking of using an external IC for Ethernet to let the MCU handle other tasks.I Want to control  currents of 8 devises, save data to an SD card, and control via a web server.

@Mahsa8289 wrote:

Thinking of using an external IC for Ethernet to let the MCU handle other tasks.I Want to control  currents of 8 devises, save data to an SD card, and control via a web server.

That was a necessity a couple of decades ago with 8-bit processors when 64K of Flash was considered "huge".

Not really an issue any more with chips like STM32, which could certainly manage all that - and more.

But it does save you having to implement the TCP/IP stack in software ...