cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi everyone! I want to know when the MCU STM32L4A is in system bootloader (by using a LED). Is this possible? Many thanks!

PGall.4
Associate

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @PGall.4​, to the community!

If you are talking about the internal bootloader in each STM32, its activity cannot be indicated with an LED.

However, if you write your own bootloader, you have all the freedom, but also the disadvantage of losing user flash.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @PGall.4​, to the community!

If you are talking about the internal bootloader in each STM32, its activity cannot be indicated with an LED.

However, if you write your own bootloader, you have all the freedom, but also the disadvantage of losing user flash.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Have a GPIO / LED that lights after reset​, have your code clear it.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
PGall.4
Associate

Hi Peter!

Yes, I was talking about internal bootloader. We wanted to ensure that the MCU wasn't in that state with a visual indication,

Many thanks!

Good idea, but requires a little extra hardware, e.g. an external flipflop.

I know this is a 2 month old thread resurrected probably by this badly handled spamming wave, but maybe this is a topic worth another answer.

The default bootloader sets pullups/pulldowns on some pins. AN2606 probably does not deal with this adequately and ST for whatever weird reason refuses to publish the bootloader sources, but you can disassemble/single-step the bootloader to see which ones - e.g. UART Rx pins. The pullups/pulldowns are nominally 40kOhm, and these days there are LEDs out there which light up quite adequately with currents like that.

Whether it's worth to spend a pin on this function is a question for OP to decide.

JW

Very good idea that is worth pursuing.