cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAL USB_CoreReset times out on the CM4 core of a Nucleo-H745zi-q

WLear
Associate III

Attempting to get USB CDC running on the CM4 core of a stock Nucleo-H745zi-q board. USB_CoreReset() times out waiting for a soft reset. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Timeout is in stm32h7xx_ll_usb.c, lines 1456-1469:

/* Core Soft Reset */
  count = 0U;
  USBx->GRSTCTL |= USB_OTG_GRSTCTL_CSRST;

do
  {
    count++;

if (count > 200000U)
    {
      return HAL_TIMEOUT;
    }
  } while ((USBx->GRSTCTL & USB_OTG_GRSTCTL_CSRST) == USB_OTG_GRSTCTL_CSRST);

USB clock is RC48

Project built with CubeMX V6.6.1, CubeIDE V1.10.1, Firmware FW_H7 V1.10.0

I moved the USB from the CM4 core to the CM7, and this issue does not occur.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

If you look at usbd_desc.c/line 337: Get_SerialNum() function does access the system memory. Unfortunately, CM4 doesn't have access to this region.

So to use the device ID as a serial number, you have to read it by CM7, save it in the RAM which will be available later-on for CM4. 

You can test it by -in Get_SerialNum()- replacing:

deviceserial0 = *(uint32_t *) DEVICE_ID1;

deviceserial1 = *(uint32_t *) DEVICE_ID2;

deviceserial2 = *(uint32_t *) DEVICE_ID3;

by:

deviceserial0 = 0xABCDEF12;

deviceserial1 = 0x12345678;

deviceserial2 = 0x12A3D459;

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hello @WLear​ ,

You can refer to the following example provided under the H7 Firmware Package which uses both cores CM4 and CM7:

Path: Projects\STM32H747I-EVAL\Applications\USB_Device\HID-CM4_MSC-CM7

I hope this helps.

BeST Regards,

Walid

SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

If you look at usbd_desc.c/line 337: Get_SerialNum() function does access the system memory. Unfortunately, CM4 doesn't have access to this region.

So to use the device ID as a serial number, you have to read it by CM7, save it in the RAM which will be available later-on for CM4. 

You can test it by -in Get_SerialNum()- replacing:

deviceserial0 = *(uint32_t *) DEVICE_ID1;

deviceserial1 = *(uint32_t *) DEVICE_ID2;

deviceserial2 = *(uint32_t *) DEVICE_ID3;

by:

deviceserial0 = 0xABCDEF12;

deviceserial1 = 0x12345678;

deviceserial2 = 0x12A3D459;

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thankyou. Unfortunately, this example exhibits the same issue as my code. See the response from @SofLit for the root cause.

Yes, This test patch does allow the USB init function to return without timing out. I trust this bug will be fixed in the next H7 firmware release.

I just ran into this bug, CubeIDE version 1.14.1, STM32H755, USB running on the CM4. Stepping through initialization I don't see it hitting the Get_SerialNum function before attempting the CoreReset. It times out waiting on USB_OTG_GRSTCTL_CSRST. I changed the Get_SerialNum function as described above but I'm still getting the time out. Were you able to implement a workaround to allow the CM4 to run USB? Thanks!