cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what debug tool can be used with stm32h747i-disco board?

JNguyen
Senior

There is a 4-pin connector for ST-Link, but not populated. What debug tool can be used with ST-Link-V3E connector (micro USB)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JNguyen
Senior

I solved this problem and want to post detail here to help someone else time if he/she encounters the same problem.

In short, the answer is that connecting a PC to the disco board's ST-LINK/V3 USB connector will power the board and will allow you to program/debug. There is no need for additional debugger tool. The problem I had is that SW4STM32's OpenOCD is not stable. When I switched to CubeIDE, the problem goes away.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

stm32h747i-disco has an on-board Stlink-V3. If you want to use an external debugger, keep the STLink under debug and connect the debugger to CN13. The 4-pin connector is ti programm the Stlink itself. but propably the StlinkV3 is already delivered in RDP2

JNguyen
Senior

What debug tool/debugSW must be used with STLink-V3E connector?

E.g. another STLinkV3. Read dm00504240. But what is not good with the onboard STLink?

JNguyen
Senior

I didn't see a straight answer on UM2411. That is why I submit this question. I have STLink-V2 which is not working with STLink-V3. I have to solder header on CN4 for STLINK. CN13 is a special connector, which I don't have, and hard to find. So the answer I'm looking for (I'm still assuming) is "STLink-V3 debugger is required for debugging/programming the board via CN2 (microUSB)" I wish this statement is on the UM2411.

JNguyen
Senior

After checking UM2448 of STLink-V3, I was wrong. It doesn't look that STLink-V3 debugger can debug/program the stm32h747i-disco via STLink-V3E connector (CN2, micro-B). STLink-V3 has flat cable to target, not micro-B. Can anyone confirm this?

Using an ST/LINK driver or OpenOCD

Then tools like

Keil

IAR

Crossworks

CubeIDE

Atollic

ACME Debugger and Toolworks

Some of the unpopulated headers might be to program the ST-LINK's firmware, not really user accessible/available.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

You do seem to be making this unnecessarily complicated and convoluted

The USB connects to the on-board ST-LINK/V3 implemented in an F723 IC, that in turn connects the H747 SWDIO/SWCLK/SWO via internal traces.

There may be some pads, or tag-connect that might permit the use of a Segger J-LINK or other third party /external tools. You'd want to check the schematic thoroughly, but that's typically a rather out-lying use case.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

How do I make it complicated? I can't find direct clear answers. So I have to explore so many options. I went thru schematics, UM, but still can't get answer. The simple task I need is compiling an example from CubeMX repository for this board and program it on the board. Compiling has no problem. But STW4STM32 doesn't see the target. Neither ST-Link Util if the on-board ST-LINK/V3 microB connector is used. So what tool/how/what SW do I need to perform the task with the on-board ST-LINK/V3 microB? I haven't found answer.

I had to open up the board, installed 4-pin header CN4. Now ST-LinkUtil can program the board.

I appreciate your answers/tips. However, in this case, I need a detail answer, not just a general one.

JNguyen
Senior

I solved this problem and want to post detail here to help someone else time if he/she encounters the same problem.

In short, the answer is that connecting a PC to the disco board's ST-LINK/V3 USB connector will power the board and will allow you to program/debug. There is no need for additional debugger tool. The problem I had is that SW4STM32's OpenOCD is not stable. When I switched to CubeIDE, the problem goes away.