cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V1.1.0, segger j-link support gone?

FZher.1665
Associate II

Hi I installed STM32CubeIDE V1.1.0 and now I can't select J-Link as a debug probe, only ST-link (GDB & OpenOCD).

I get the J-link if the project was created in an older STM32CubeIDE version, but not in the new 1.1.0.

Any hints on how to enable J-link?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The internal weekly build we do has fixed this so you will be able to use J-link in the next version of CubeIDE. I've tested it myself and now there's a pop-up warning that there's no support if you would choose a dual-core H7 with J-link (or some other incompatible probe and target) instead of filtering.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
BillR
Associate III

Sorry I don't have a solution for you but I am having the same problem. In my case I fortunately had an STLink V2 laying around which is working fine for me. It might be a little slower to load but fine for at least general debugging so far. Also at $29 vs hundreds for the JLink I think they are a bargain.

Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

Which target are you working with ?

FZher.1665
Associate II

@BillR​ I have one to, but I want to use System View from Segger to debug FreeRTOS. Its nice to have unlimited break points and better speed as well.

@Cartu38 OpenDev​  I use STM32H753.

@Markus GIRDLAND​ Is there any solution or workaround?

Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

I confirm STM32H753 sounds locked on my side too.

The J-link option is disabled on all H7 devices. This is because the dual-core H7 devices does not have J-link support. However, this gets the negative side-effect that single core H7 devices gets blocked as well.

I don't believe there's a workaround but I know the debate about whether to block these devices or not is still ongoing so I will lift this thread as an example of negative consequences that can come from this.

Please do so

After reading the release note in V1.1.0 that SEGGER is supported, we bout a J-link only for this..

My design is using a H743 single core and so I am affected by this blanket J-link ban. Fortunately the ST-Link has been adequate but I miss having more breakpoints at least.

I'm also disappointed to discover this. I spent several hours trying to figure out how to use my j-link on a new project I created since it was supposed to be supported. I gave up and just used my ST-link, but was then surprised to find an older project that was migrated still allowed me to use my J-link.

I am having difficulties getting my ST-Link to debug a project with external SDRAM. After adding the external SDRAM in the linker files, I can no longer debug because of an error loading the .elf file. I'm new to the linker and debugger intricacies, but think it's because of the external loader for the SDRAM?

My j-link on the previous project gave no such errors when using SDRAM, I would love it if I could just use my J-link.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

How J-Link does unlimited breakpoints? IIRC number of breakpoints is limitation of the MCU, not of the debugger dongle?

-- pa