cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32f429 custom board - schematic review

harry123
Senior
  • I am  using my own custom board which is replicate of stm32f429 disc1 development board.
  • I replaced main mcu chip i.e stm32f429 and stlink chip from my disc1 board to my custom board. After using my custom board for for many days now it stopped working.
  • The board is getting heated and st-link not detected error is getting popped one i connect usb power supply.
  • I unable to find the reason for its failure.I have attached my custom board schematic.
  • Now I want make another custom board with external debugger what changes I have to make in the schematic to make my board work like disc1 board.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AScha.3
Chief II

>The board is getting heated and st-link not detected error 

What is getting hot ?  F429 , F103, or both ?

(Typical for a fried cpu is "heat", maybe overvoltage on a pin or by ESD ... )

>

• Now I want make another custom board with external debugger what changes I have to make in the schematic to make my board work like disc1 board.

just see a "BlackPill" circuit, attached, for F4xx, this is what you want ;

+

a working st-link , you need then.

Just...not the full JTAG , only swd/swc is fine:

AScha3_0-1721549145712.png

-->

AScha3_1-1721549548229.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
AScha.3
Chief II

Where is the 3v3 regulator ?  USB -> has 5V , so how cpu is powered ?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
  • It is powerd through USB same like stm32f429 disc1 board.
  • I want to replace with that with external power supply and debugger.Screenshot_20240721_060941_Drive.jpg

But its not in the circuit - i cannot see it... 

like this:

AScha3_0-1721542333845.png

on F429 is here 3V supply:

AScha3_1-1721542470761.png

Screenshot_20240721_122425_Drive.jpg

It is there in page 3 right side.

Ooooo - sorry, i only looked on page 1 (didnt see the others)

Your name topic custom is little out... You copy schematics seems ok except U5V and 5V , but when board some days working ... Your explain heating is amateur, measure with DC 3V 5V and currents... Your STMs seems is dead and need new . Way remove from board and place into other is next ... STLink part on custom boards isnt necessary.

AScha.3
Chief II

>The board is getting heated and st-link not detected error 

What is getting hot ?  F429 , F103, or both ?

(Typical for a fried cpu is "heat", maybe overvoltage on a pin or by ESD ... )

>

just see a "BlackPill" circuit, attached, for F4xx, this is what you want ;

+

a working st-link , you need then.

Just...not the full JTAG , only swd/swc is fine:

AScha3_0-1721549145712.png

-->

AScha3_1-1721549548229.png

• Please suggest  which debugger to use.
  • To use UART can I make use of debugger or should I use usb to ttl converters.

>Please suggest which debugger to use.

Debug in IDE ? GDB or OCD . (I dont understand your question...)

>To use UART can I make use of debugger or should I use usb to ttl converters.

Depends on the debug probe, you want to use: st-linkV3 has serial , rx /tx at 3v3 level.

If your st-link dont have serial, need a usb to ttl converter to use usartX for tx/rx to PC terminal program.