cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32- Nucleo-L476RG schematic: Why is PB12 (Pin 33) connected to V_ref/VDDA (Pin 13) ?

FHopp.1
Associate III

Hello,

I'm designing a new schematic for am IOT project with STM32L476RGT and looked for reference

in the schematic of the Nucle-L476RG. In this schematic the  V_ref/VDDA (Pin 13) is connected to PB12 (Pin 33). Why are these two pins connected?

0690X00000DA1kRQAT.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

I did not check, but I guess for L4, SB37 is bridged, while SB34 is removed. Only for F37 with ths SDADC, SB34 is bridged and SB37 is removed.

FHopp.1
Associate III

Thanks for your fast answer. But why is it bridged?

FHopp.1
Associate III

I made a picture of the bridges:

0690X00000DA24MQAT.jpg

Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

For the F37, you need SD_VREF on PB12. Otherwise you want PB12 to be accessible on the external connectors.

FHopp.1
Associate III

My aim is to use the V_ref pin as input for external Voltage reference. I couldn't find any hints in data sheet why this connection is made. What happens fpr example when I don't connect it?

Hello @FHopp.1​ ,

You need to refer to AN4555 (Getting started with STM32L4 Series and STM32L4+ Series hardware development) where you will find following details:

The internal voltage reference buffer supports two output voltages, which are configured with VRS bit in the VREF_CSR register:

– VREF+ around 2.048 V. This requires VDDA equal to or higher than 2.4 V.

– VREF+ around 2.5 V. This requires VDDA equal to or higher than 2.8 V.

VREF- and VREF+ pins are not available on all packages. When not available, they are bonded to VSSA and VDDA, respectively.

When the VREF+ is double-bonded with VDDA in a package, the internal voltage reference buffer is not available and must be kept disable (refer to datasheet for packages pinout description).

VREF- must always be equal to VSSA.

So all depends on the package you selected and the availability of VREF+. You need to check the datasheet for such purpose.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

FHopp.1
Associate III

Exectly. But this don't answer the question why V_ref/VDDA (Pin 13) is connected to PB12 (Pin 33) on the Nucleo Board. Why did ST do this?

There is no SD_Vref+ for STM32L476. So when SB37 is bridged, this does not mean PB12 is connected to Vref+.

You need to look to SB57: it is ON which means "VDDA/VREF+ on STM32 is connected to VDD" (referring to UM1724).

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

FHopp.1
Associate III

OK, thanks!