cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STLINK V3 - without mass storage enabled.

delli
Associate II

Per corporate policy, USB Mass Storage devices are DISABLED on our corporate laptops. Period, end of story. There is no means to get around it, these are the rules.

Is there a means to DISABLE the mass storage feature? I see this is available for the STLINK V2, but not for the V3. In my case, it is specifically for the STM32H743ZI Nucleo-144 board.

Effectively, this feature: 'DRAG-DROP' - requires mass storage - which - effectively is a USB thumb drive type device, which is sort of "outlawed" where I am.

I don't have a choice in this matter.

11 REPLIES 11
blechleitner
Associate II

Hi,

@ S C:

I did now some tests but I am not happy with the new version. Until today, I used CubeIDE 1.6.1 with STLinkUpgrade 3.3.5 and STLink Fiwmware V3J7M3. Everything worked so far except the mass storage issue. I integrated the new Upgrade Tool and the libs into CubeIDE and now I see Version 3.3.6 and did a FW upgrade on STLink to V3J8M3. Went ok and I can still debug (with mass storage mode enabled). Good so far.

In Device Manager, I see the "STLink Virtual COM Port", under "Drives" i see "STM Product USB Device" and "STM STLINK USB Device", under "Mobile Devices" the Device "STLINK_V3M" and under "USB Devices" I see "ST-Link Debug".

Now I did a further FW upgrade with V3J8M3 but disabled mass storage. The upgrade went ok but now the troubles start: If I start a debug session, CubeIDE shows a message box with the title "ST-LINK firmware verification", telling me "No ST-LINK detected! Please connect the ST-LINK and restart the debug session.". In Device Manager, the ST-LINK Virtual COM disappeared and therefore a general USB device appears. The PID changed from 0x374E to 0x3754. Under "Devices", the entry "STM STLINK USB Device" dissapeared as well (expected). Under "USB Devices" the entry "ST-Link Debug" remains visible but it's PID changed also from 0x374E to 0x3754.

In "STM32Debug+VCP" Mode (means without mass storage), In CubeIDE -> Debug Configurations -> Debugger -> Interface, it is possible to scan for the debugger. It's serial number is shown. So a general access is possible but no debugging session. If I go back to the FW V3J8M3 but with enabled mass storage, I can start the debugger again. Fully reproducible.

Is it possible that CubeIDE/Debugger simply does not recognize the new (?) PID? Is there anything else we can do or do we have to wait for a new CubeIDE as well? Do we also need a new GDB Server? By the way, the same is with CubeProgrammer.

Thanks in advance

Bernhard

S C
ST Employee

The device USB PID changed to 0x3754 because of the new set of interfaces. The debug interface GUID remains the same so 'theoretically' the debug should work smoothly on tools not checking against the USB PID. Unfortunately tools are filtering on the USB PID for other constraints, which explains the failure. Consequently I'm afraid you will need to wait for the update of such tools before debugging with the USB device 0x3754. Concerned teams have been notified however I don't have myself the overall vision of deliveries. So to handle with care: IAR should provide a new version this month, Keil, CubeIDE and CubeProgrammer in June.