cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STLink Utility v4.6.0 does not run

It complains about not finding mfc140.dll.

I do have mfc140.dll in C:\Windows\System32.

What next?

JW

[EDIT] The CLI does not run either, throws the same error:

0693W00000ALzUYQA1.png 

After copying mfc140.dll into the directory where the stlink-utility executable is located (d:\Program Files\STMicroelectronics\STM32 ST-LINK Utility 4.5\ST-LINK Utility\), attempting to run it results in

0693W00000ALzTGQA1.png 

[EDIT2] You may have noticed that the directory name I mentioned above contains "4.5". That's because running the installator it offered only to rewrite the existing installation, with no further options - which is quite nasty, too.

After uninstalling v4.6 and reinstalling v4.5 (which I wisely archived), v4.5 works.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Piranha
Chief II

Installed right now on W7 x64 - works without any extra steps. Though I had that 2015-2019 runtime already installed. Removing it shows a similar message to the first one.

Just in case - you do know that software is 32-bit and you need x86 runtime, not x64 for it? 🙂 Is the OS 64 or 32 bit? Is the path to executable really on a "D:\"? Some software can have some hard-coded paths and that can brake things.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Piranha
Chief II

Probably copying that DLL manually is not enough. Instead install the runtime for Visual Studio 2015:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads-2647da03-1eea-4433-9aff-95f26a218cc0

As I've said in the second line of my initial post, I already had the VS redistributable installed. And yes, it had been installed from exactly the package you linked to, long ago.

The copying was just an attempt to move things forward.

JW

[EDIT] For good measure I downloaded and run the VS redistributable installer again. No surprise, no change, no work.

[EDIT2] Piranha, so the V4.6.0 STLink Utility does work at your place, right? Did it run right after installation, or did you take any extra steps?

Piranha
Chief II

Installed right now on W7 x64 - works without any extra steps. Though I had that 2015-2019 runtime already installed. Removing it shows a similar message to the first one.

Just in case - you do know that software is 32-bit and you need x86 runtime, not x64 for it? 🙂 Is the OS 64 or 32 bit? Is the path to executable really on a "D:\"? Some software can have some hard-coded paths and that can brake things.

> Installed right now on W7 x64 - works without any extra steps.

Thanks for trying.

> Just in case - you do know that software is 32-bit and you need x86 runtime, not x64 for it? =)

No, I didn't know that, nor do I know what are the ramifications of this. I'm quite actively trying to avoid understanding the PC world.

Are there two versions (32/64-bit) of mfc140.dll?

Is the v4.5.0 64-bit, then, or how comes that one runs?

> Is the OS 64 or 32 bit?

W10, 64-bit.

> Is the path to executable really on a "D:\"? Some software can have some hard-coded paths and that can brake things.

The installer gave me no choice, it simply overwrote the existing - and working - v4.5.0 installation, on D:.

JW

Okay I got it, on a 64-bit system I need the x86 MSVC redistributable, VC_redist.x86, which installs (among other things) mfc140.dll into C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (it's a different mfc140.dll from that which came with the 64-bit MSVC redistributable and got installed into Windows/System32. Very thoughtful of MS).

ST, I'd recommend to add this piece of information into the STLink Utility manual.

IIRC, I went through a similar process when trying to install some of the Cube stuff... although that was one more indirection step, Java which required the MSVC redistrubutable.

I hate the PC world.

JW

PS. @Piranha​ , thanks for the help.