cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-Link cable length

Moritz1
Associate III

Hello,

does anyone know what the maximum cable length is for the ST-Link programmer (20-pole ribbon cable)?

Maybe someone has experience with this?

Is it possible to bridge longer distances, e.g. 50 metres? (not the USB cable, but the 20-pole ribbon cable).

10 REPLIES 10
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

USB cable, with active extender. Ask in your local computer store.

Moritz1
Associate III

Please read the question correctly.

I specifically asked for the length of the 20 pin ribbon cable. NOT the USB cable!

Need to rethink approach.

Y​ou can get Ethernet based JTAG pods, perhaps GDB Remote Server

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Not designed/buffered for 50m operation.​ Only a handful of pins used.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
AScha.3
Chief II

>Is it possible to bridge longer distances, e.g. 50 metres?

yes, but only at a data rate, that makes debug useless.

so for useful debug speed keep stlink cable 10...50cm length and make long distance other way - as recommended .

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
S.Ma
Principal

It is easier to reach longer distance with differential pairs than using single ended signals. Physics.

Extend the USB cable if you can, SWD is like 3 wire SPI bus, its performance will always be inferior to USB. Signal integrity for noise and bit error rate.

Moritz1
Associate III

I do not need to debug over this long wire. Its just for flashing the binary. High speed is also not needed. The flashing process can take 1 minute, this would not be a problem.

But the question is: Is it possible to slow down the ST-Link so that this will work?

SHick.2
Associate

Active USB cable extender. Consult your neighbourhood computer shop.

AScha.3
Chief II

>But the question is: Is it possible to slow down the ST-Link so that this will work?

try it. 140Kb is lowest standard speed setting. obviously nobody had the silly idea, to flash/update something in another building with a spi-like connection over the street. It could work at a very unstable and unreliable state, most time errors will stop connection after some seconds. If you insist, to have a lottery game as update process, you will have a lot of fun.

use the internal bootloader or your own with local connection.

i use USB-stick, software just looking for update file on new/starting device and then update itself.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".