Did you mean: 

ST-Link broken after upgrade on Nucleo card

Cedric Boudinet
Associate III

Hello

When I try to connect to my Nucleo board, I have the following message:

Error in initializing ST-LINK device.

Reason: (4) No device found on target.

I think I have this error message because I didn't disconnect the board physically before upgrading the firmware.

I don't know what is broken the ST-link or the nucleo itself?

Is there a way to repair the board?

Bests

17 REPLIES 17

Definitely pointing to the STM32 chip being dead/unresponsive

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Hi

It is a NUCLEO-F429ZI.

There are two HW modifications: I put off SB12 (for external Vref) and SB121. I put on SB122.

The card was still working after the HW modification.

No shield is connected to the board and all jumpers are in their default config.

I tried to short pins 5 and 7 of CN11.

I tried all the modes and reset modes when connecting with STM32CubeProgrammer.

Bests

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

some additional tests before autopsy:

• can you plug an ammeter instead of JP5 and check whether there is still some life here (possibly remove SB13 as explained in UM1974).
  • can you try to revert back the SB12 modification or provide VDDA/VREF though pin6 of CN7

How is provided your VREF?

Have you connected a shield that might have provided a VREF while SB12 was ON, possibly damaging the board?

Rgds

BT

P.-S. Ense3 is not so far. Just walking 500m...

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

What firmware did you update? The firmware on the ST-LINK or that of the Target?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

The ST-link one I guess, I used STLinkUpgrade.

Thanks a lot, it works by providing a VREF again.

I put an ammeter and when there is no VREF, the ammeter shows 0A. It seems that the MCU cannot start without AVDD.

It has no link with the firmware upgrade, but from the fact that I removed my shield providing the VREF as the same time.

Hi,

good to know this is working again.

See RM0090 §5.2.1 "The device remains in Reset mode when VDD/VDDA is below a specified threshold,"

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thanks for the hint.