cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for Assistance with import Altium Format Files for MP157 DK-Board Compatibility

jr_engr_mbed
Associate III

Dear ST-Electronics Community,

I hope this message finds you well. I've noticed a limited number of posts (1 or 2) regarding the import of Altium format files and the subsequent development of custom PCBs. Could any hardware professional from the ST-Community please look into this matter?.

I have access to Altium Designer and wish to import ST-design files into Altium for time-saving purposes. However, I'm unsure of the exact process and would appreciate guidance on how to proceed. I attempted to convert the SCHDOC.ASCCI format to import into EasyEDA, as I find EasyEDA easier to use for board design. However, I encountered a footprint missing error after importing into EasyEDA.

My question is, can I use Altium directly for converting the design to PCB after importing the design files? Will this method work, or is there a proper method to extract the schematic and convert it into a PCB?

I respect any suggestions or guidance you can provide me!

thankyou.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Tesla, just before now, I'm got  reply from display vendor that 1280*480 10.25 ' lcd display is also not able to use with h7 or f7,.why is that so, then really is stm32 lacking anything for larger display with WXGA max atleast?

Then, should I buy displays in 8or9 inch with similar aspect ratio alone with common driver ic for libraries available yit to avoid writing drivers from scratch..? If that so, I can go for it..

Mail received is attached..if stm32 handle 1280 pixel also, is that difficult to interface without libraries for it..what you prefer for speed up my project fast?? I accept your suggestion 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@jr_engr_mbed wrote:

My question is, can I use Altium directly for ....

Questions about the capabilities of Altium tools, and how to use them, are probably best directed to Altium:

https://www.altium.com/support 

https://forum.live.altium.com

Thank you for your quick response. I contact altium for designing section..plz take a minute for this case and advice me on selected H.W for a custom board that needs to be compatible with two applications sharing the same hardware .By the way, if I get a proper idea about this development pathway, I think it's best to avoid unnecessary complications.so, here is my end product needs

1. ECG MACHINE- I2C touch display: Our end product features a TFT LCD 10.3-inch LVDS display at 1980x720 resolution, 24-bit color depth, and 200dpi, which is a customized bar-type display.
  2. PATIENT MONITOR- normal TFT 12.3' 1280*780 lvds display with i2c.

During initial development, I chose the STM32MP157 MPU for the patient monitor, but now I require separate hardware and display for ECG pulse display at 1980x720 resolution. I'm considering GUI frameworks like Embedded Wizard or TouchGFX. Can the STM32MP157 manage both applications without Linux, or would the H745 dual-core MCU be better suited for these tasks?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

mindray-umec12-patient-monitor-1000x1000.jpg

IMG-20240326-WA0008.jpg

1920x720 surely? Pretty much going to be at the edge of the envelope for 2-lane bandwidth there. Would definitely recommend building a proof-of-concept from available parts/boards to confirm it's viable, with no tearing.

There's going to be VERY LITTLE support for bare-metal programming of the STM32 MP15x processors. If you're not comfortable free-climbing without ropes this is probably not a route I'd recommend. Perhaps look at u-Boot sources to get a feel for what can/can't be done outside of the Linux environment.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Hi, thank you for your kind reply. Currently, I have tested using the F769-DISC0 with its built-in DSI display for vital signs, and I have successfully done it with and without touch GFX as well. At the moment, it seems manageable for me. However, to transition this into a real product, I would like to seek your advice. If you were in my position, could you suggest a suitable hardware chip for our application? For instance, if we use a 10-inch display with dimensions of 250mm x 105mm and a lower resolution of 1280 x 780 if I got customize from vendor,now , would any MCU be capable of handling it? If you recommend for my application, particularly for an ECG machine, can the MP15xx be skipped if Linux is not necessary, and if all tasks can be accomplished with FreeRTOS and TouchGFX? Is that correct? In STM, which hardware would be suitable for our product, where memory constraints and real-time OS are not major concerns, also for display framebuffer for 2 channel lvds you recommend?"

Still I hold order for display and didn't do custom board...so, guide me in proper direction. I will be so grateful.. thank you ...our ideal end product 

display 's datasheet is attached..plz refer for it, should I really go lesser resolution with easy choice 

It's a resolution thing vs size, and the bandwidth to address the resolution and refresh rate.

The Physical Size and Aspect Ratio are things you're going to have to decide with your team. A lot will depend on the aesthetics and user experience you seek.

The parallel-RGB displays are an option, but increase pin counts significantly. For a manufacturability and cost perspective LQFP's might be a lot more preferable than BGA. The costs there in PCB (pin escape, layers, pin-in-pad) and reworkability should be assessed.

Memory bandwidth on the STM32 MCU is going to depend on data bus width. I'd definitely go with the 32-bit SDRAM for this as your screen painting (LTDC + DSI/RGB) is going to work continuously, and you're screen drawing (you're interactions with the frame buffers to generate the imagery) are going to contend for access.

Your application looks to be within the scope of an F7 or H7 parts. Pick parts with common foot-prints so you can migrate up-down based on costs, availability, and minimum resources to execute your requirements. ie over spec with the ability to cost reduce.

For prototyping, perhaps looks at Riverdi solutions, and if you can daughter-board your ECG interfacing

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
jr_engr_mbed
Associate III

Hi Tesla, thank you for steering me away from a potential mismatch. Is it true that integrating a 1980x720 resolution display with an STM32 microcontroller presents challenges? Could this be due to limited SDRAM capacity? If that's the case, might a 10.3-inch display with a 1280x480 resolution be easier to manage? Also, does stm32h753 chip have the necessary libraries for GUI support? I've found a custom 4-lane TFT 1280x480 LVDS display from BuyDisplay.com. Would it be compatible with an STM32H753 MCU?

Regarding custom hardware, if I can integrate this display with TouchGFX without issues, then our end product will be ready. luckily,I've found an open-source H753+F405 board on GitHub. Is it a good idea to use this as a foundation to avoid starting from scratch? I believe importing this ready-made project is wise, considering I only need to modify the basic schematics to include the LVDS and a printer port.

If everything looks in order as you’ve assessed, please advise if I am moving in the right direction.

Thank you for your advice on the previous post. Without it, I might have been in deep trouble.
it's flight controller from phil's lab youtube:
Flight Control System Design: Hardware and PCB Design with KiCAD - Phil's Lab #1 (youtube.com)

Hi Tesla, just before now, I'm got  reply from display vendor that 1280*480 10.25 ' lcd display is also not able to use with h7 or f7,.why is that so, then really is stm32 lacking anything for larger display with WXGA max atleast?

Then, should I buy displays in 8or9 inch with similar aspect ratio alone with common driver ic for libraries available yit to avoid writing drivers from scratch..? If that so, I can go for it..

Mail received is attached..if stm32 handle 1280 pixel also, is that difficult to interface without libraries for it..what you prefer for speed up my project fast?? I accept your suggestion