cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper option for programming/debugging connector

MKanc.1
Associate III

Hello

I just got my ST-LinkV3 programmer and noticed there's many other ways to connect and program these STM32 series.

I am asking for common chips like L152, F4XX, G030 and alike, for hobby but also possible professional designs.

ARM website itself promotes several connectors for debugging, which seems tiny and suitable to connect STLinkV3. But most importantly, they consume less space on PCB.

Our good old SCK/DIO SWD connectors works well. But i can assume amongst many options there should be a more professional way to implement programmer on PCB.

Should i stick with good old SWD (SWCLK/IO and VCC/GND) as usual or is it better to place ARM10/20 or whatever connectors on chip?

Is there any manual on ST site for options?

I only ask for simple firmware upload and step-by-step debugging. Connectors are smaller than THT 4 pin SWD.

Removing BOOT0 and NRST buttons is a good option for prototyping.

I use STM32CubeMX and Programmer. GNU/Linux only.

ARM documents: https://developer.arm.com/documentation/ka001776/latest

2 REPLIES 2

I don't know if there's a manual of options, "designers" tend to pick what works for their specific application. Minimal size, ease of probing in manufacture and obfuscation tend to be important beyond the sw development phase.

Even with specific direction people still play pick-n-choose about what they want to bother to connect.

The old 20-pin is a bit large, I tend to prefer the smaller ARM SWD 10-pin, but the older/larger design is good in test fixtures, or others where the users are rough and careless. And technicians can crimp a new cable or replace headers.

I tend to connect the NRST, it's needed for things like "Connect Under Reset" to actually work. Having TDO/SWO is always very helpful for getting a debug communications channel.

In the low profile/inconspicuous sense Tag-Connect pads and drill holes are quite popular, and don't require a connector on the BOM

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

>In the low profile/inconspicuous sense Tag-Connect pads and drill holes are quite popular, and don't require a connector on the BOM

I have spent many hours debugging only with the left hand holding "test probes" onto those pads. I would strongly suggest drilled holes.

we dont need to firmware by ourselves, lets talk