cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with OpenOCD and STM32L082

dmeehan
Associate

I'm using JetBrains CLion as a development environment, with OpenOCD and GDB as the flash/debug toolchain.

I have a custom board with STM32L082CZ, similar to the B-LR072-LRWAN1 board.

I have previously been using STM32CubeIDE and its integrated flash/debug facility and this has worked ok, although I was trying to switch to CLion as I found the Cube IDE performance under macOS to be poor. I also develop for other MCU with different toolchains and was looking to standardise.

I discovered that it was desirable to use the STMicroelectronics/OpenOCD openocd-cubeide-r4 release, as opposed to the openocd-org/openocd 0.11.0 release as the STML0 family was, at least at some point, not fully supported. Specifically, STM32L0 has dual memory banks and this is not configured in the stml0discovery.cfg file provided with the official openocd release. This is provided in the STM/OpenOCD release.

The specific problem I was encountering was constant disconnects/non-communication with the device. Flashing worked ok, but debugger stability was poor to non-existent. I discovered largely through trial and error that the debugger was:

1. Not disabling IWDG and WWDG timers when under debugger control, so if I held the programme at a breakpoint for too long the MCU would reset.
  2. Not enabling debugger in STOP and SLEEP modes correctly, resulting in each 'step' in the debugger losing track/control of the MCU and ultimately failing to debug as required.

I altered my code to disable STOP/SLEEP states and disabled use of IWDG/WWDG and found that the debug stability vastly improved.

I followed the openocd configuration files in use, including the linkages from the dual memory config to the base config, and found that both of these processes are controlled by events within the stm32l0.cfg file. I verified that the memory addresses are correct, and the bitfield values, as per the STM docs for the MCU.

So it seems that for some reason, these settings are not being correctly applied, either not triggered at the appropriate points or the writes do not succeed.

It's quite possible that my config/setup is not correct in some regards, as I found various solutions all over the place, and it seems that this might just be an esoteric problem/situation.

--------------------------------------------------------

st-info --probe output

Found 1 stlink programmers

version:  V2J29S7

serial:   55FF74067880565352161467

flash:   196608 (pagesize: 128)

sram:    20480

chipid:   0x0447

descr:   L0xx Category 5

config for openocd

source [find interface/stlink.cfg]

transport select hla_swd

set WORKAREASIZE 0x2000

# L082 has dual bank memory

source [find target/stm32l0_dual_bank.cfg]

reset_config srst_only

# required to allow device reset when unresponsive

reset_config connect_assert_srst

output for openocd (with MCU code changed to remove IWDG/WWDG/STOP/SLEEP

/usr/local/bin/openocd -s /usr/local/share/openocd/scripts -f /<redacted>/SD01-L-V2/src/board/SD01-L-STM32L082/openocd/stm32l082.cfg -c "tcl_port disabled" -c "gdb_port disabled" -c "tcl_port disabled" -c "program \"/<redacted>/SD01-L-V2/dist/SD01-L-V2-0-0-1-Debug.elf\"" -c reset -c shutdown

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.11.0+dev-00454-gd3b71197b-dirty (2022-09-04-13:46) [STMicro URL Redacted]

Licensed under GNU GPL v2

For bug reports, read

[openocd link redacted]

Info : The selected transport took over low-level target control. The results might differ compared to plain JTAG/SWD

srst_only separate srst_nogate srst_open_drain connect_assert_srst

Info : clock speed 300 kHz

Info : STLINK V2J29S7 (API v2) VID:PID 0483:3748

Info : Target voltage: 3.245026

Info : stm32l0.cpu: Cortex-M0+ r0p1 processor detected

Info : stm32l0.cpu: target has 4 breakpoints, 2 watchpoints

Info : gdb port disabled

Info : Unable to match requested speed 300 kHz, using 240 kHz

target halted due to debug-request, current mode: Thread 

xPSR: 0xf1000000 pc: 0x08010064 msp: 0x20005000

STM32L0: Enabling HSI16

Info : Unable to match requested speed 2500 kHz, using 1800 kHz

Info : Unable to match requested speed 2500 kHz, using 1800 kHz

** Programming Started **

Info : Device: STM32L0xx (Cat.5)

Info : STM32L flash has dual banks. Bank (0) size is 96kb, base address is 0x8000000

Info : Device: STM32L0xx (Cat.5)

Info : STM32L flash has dual banks. Bank (1) size is 96kb, base address is 0x8018000

** Programming Finished **

shutdown command invoked

0 REPLIES 0