Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nucleo 144 F767zi - ST-link Console printf - sb4; sb5;sb6;sb7

Carsten73
Associate III

Hello,

I am using a Nucleo 144 F767zi Board. 

I am try to get any command on the Virt COM Console. But I failed always. I tried very lot things from on youtube, on the Forum ... but I always failed.

I see in the documentation 

um1974-stm32-nucleo144-boards-mb1137-stmicroelectronics.pdf

6.9 USART communication

Carsten73_0-1717503994802.png

I see further that all pins are enabled by default. From my actual understanding, this means that the COM Port is not active because SB4 and SB7 are "ON" too?

Is this correct?

If this is true and I have to set SB4/SB7 off. 

How do I set SB4 and SB7 to OFF. 

I did found anything "how to change the state of a SB".

Thanks for any hint to get the Console running.

thanks

best regards

Carsten

18 REPLIES 18

Did it today and before. Does not work at all

Carsten73
Associate III

Hi,

yes, sorry. 

This answer was based on the baud rate. 

I did it with parity and without. I did it with 9600 and 115200. Nothing change. 

I tested the configs the colleges provided today. But I always failed. 

Tomorrow I can add my config. Maybe you find something wrong. 

Thanks for your support 

best regards

Carsten

Regarding your previous complaint that it is not compilable for you: the Github subdirectory contains relative references to the firmware, which is why beginners should always load the entire firmware. Then switch to the relevant project directory and open the project directly from there so that the relative header file references can be resolved. If you are then more experienced, you can also dissect out such a project with a little effort.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

This will work on the F7xx NUCLEO-144 boards. Burn the .HEX with STM32 Cube Programmer.

Outputs to USART3 / VCP at 115200 baud

https://github.com/cturvey/RandomNinjaChef/blob/main/STM32F746ZG_Nucleo_AXIM-FLASH.hex

@Peter BENSCH @Lina DABASINSKAITE  direct attachment failed, HEX out of Keil

"The attachment's stm32f746zg_nucleo_axim-flash.hex content type (application/octet-stream) does not match its file extension and has been removed."

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Hi @Tesla DeLorean ,

Thanks for reporting, I am able to reproduce the issue and I am checking why this file type is not working. 

Was it working before, or you noticed this issues just now? 

Temporarily, as a workaround, please use the alternatives, such as .zip, .7z.

Thanks,
Lina

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Carsten73
Associate III

Hi, 

today I remove the SMD 0 for SB4 & SB7 what means switch off these SB as described in the documentation,

um1974-stm32-nucleo144-boards-mb1137-stmicroelectronics.pdf

6.9 USART communication

Carsten73_0-1717601316400.png

This was a small mess and a jumper would be the much better solution. 

But now it works directly. Now I can connect to the virtual console and see my printf messages. 

I see that for some other F7 Nucleo Board the SB 4 & SB7 are switch off by default. 

For the F676zi SB5,6,4,7 are all switch on by default. 

But from my understand and if I read the table 6.9 (above) than the SB4 & SB7 must be switch off to get the Virtual COM Port running. 

Isn`t ?

Anyway for me it is working now and Lesson 2 "Hello World" is done. ;-))

Thanks for your support and your time. 

regards

Carsten

I think I've run into it rejecting Keil .HEX (Intel form) before. Not sure what your test is looking at or objecting too. The form has standard records, and a terminal record.

Not sure what malicious content it would be looking for, or how that's scored, the file is ASCII, and clearly not an executable or archive.

I did confuse AT&T's elite threat analysts once, they insistent they needed a firmware image from my STM32 device for review, and I sent them the production HEX file.

I don't know that they "need" removing, the signals are not high bandwidth (sub MHz). Removing them allows for deconfliction and prevents reflections on the lines, and functions other MORPHO cards might bring to the party.

I've not found a need to remove them from my collection of NUCLEO-F7xx boards.

Removing stubs from SDIO/SDMMC and QSPI interfaces can help, but there we're talking signals into the 10's of MHz that will act like transmission lines at speed.

Carsten73
Associate III

Hello,

but the docu said:

For Virtual COM Port:

SB5 on AND SB7 off

SB6 on AND SB4 off

Very Important too, use PD8 and PD9 on USART3. Otherwise I will not work too. 

regards

Carsten