cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(new) ST-Link V3 minie not working on Windows ( 7 or 10) ! Whats wrong ?

AScha.3
Chief II

new (from mouser) STLINK V3 MINIE not working on Windows PC (win7) , no driver found !

hey, on same PC STLINK V3MODS working without problem !

the brand new V3MINIE also on Win10 doing nothing - no error, no enumeration.

on win7 here :

no driver found.

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bkHFwQAM.pngand compare on USB V3mods right and V3minie left side:

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bkHGBQA2.pngdifferent PID .

what can i do now ?

@peter BENSCH​  - any help ??

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bob S
Principal

Some STLinks can be configured with or without MSC drive, and with or wirhout VCP (I think). Run the CubeProgrammer program and click on the "firmware upgrade" button on the right-hand side. Open the device in "update" mode. It will tell you the current firmware and whether it has mass storage enabled. Click on "Change Type" to change that and/or update to newer firmware version.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Try to manually (in Device Manager) install the WinUSB driver on it.

(Update driver-> Browse-> Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer...)

Unfortunately Windows 7 is thing of the past (support ended) so - products are no longer tested against it.

For the VCP interface, Win7 does not have in-box driver for USB to serial adapters at all. Install the ST provided driver.

AScha.3
Chief II

i downloaded driver pack /zip , manual install drivers (why ? same is running in Vmods version - i cannot understand this game, STM is playing )

now both V3 versions working, just the V3minie showing no msc drive, only debug and vcp . on win 7 PC .

+ now test :

both connect and work instantly on linux ( MX 18 ) , 5 y old now , but updated ;

in linux it shows:

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bkIpHQAU.pngbut V3mods shows a drive :

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bkIqAQAU.pngso V3mine has NO msc drive to flash something!

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Bob S
Principal

Some STLinks can be configured with or without MSC drive, and with or wirhout VCP (I think). Run the CubeProgrammer program and click on the "firmware upgrade" button on the right-hand side. Open the device in "update" mode. It will tell you the current firmware and whether it has mass storage enabled. Click on "Change Type" to change that and/or update to newer firmware version.

AScha.3
Chief II

Bob, i tried now... (on Linux) and see:

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bkJDdQAM.pngok , so it want update programmer first and then - maybe- new game . or not .

i didnt want to begin a game, i just buy this new and genuine STM programmer, because

my old ST-Link V2 are "fakes" or whatever now Peter Bench or STM call them now, i didnt know about this before. and i recommend this s-hi-t to my company, so i have a problem now. Better, i never recommended STM products - maybe.

but too late today for new games, i go to bed.

Bob S
Principal

I am a bit concerned by the "Unexpected device ID for STLink micro" message at the bottom of the dialog box.

What version of CubeProgrammer are you using? The latest is 2.13.

Click on the "open in pdate mode" and see what it shows you for current version and whether MSC is enabled. Include a screen shot of that dialog if you have any issues. You might also include a picture of the STLinkV3, just in case (top, bottom and close up of the CPU).

The MODS and the MiniE use the same STM32F723 chip. So for the HW, hardly a change between them, Markings are on the boards for anyone to magnify.

The MSC option by choosing different upgrade came from corporations security disabling USB Mass storage devices (and disabling any composite device using MSC feature).

Now microsoft requirements to manage USB device drivers may have evolved with windows newer versions. Maybe the MODS being older kept compatible with older windows versions.

Otherwise, there are other debug probes such as I-JET and J-LINK which are supported by IAR / Segger/etc... check out which windows version is being supported.

AScha.3
Chief II

thanks for your help .

i will try next week, when back to work...

for now, on my PC (and Linux ) : the CubeProgrammer is probably too old, V2.3.0 .

i didnt look before, because i made update just some month ago - but obviously the system still starting old version ; and everything (CubeIDE , Monitor and Programmer) working fine up to this test with new V3minie .

And i dont like to do every update thats possible, because my experience with STM updates is not just a success story - more 50:50 , to get more or new problems after an update.

but now , just to know, i take my laptop with win10/64 , and load new CubeProgrammer from STM.

Ooo , never seen before: blue start window "STM..." coming , then after 3 seconds disappears and then starting again , in endless loop. so no luck today with STM newest products... 🙂

Don't do an upgrade/update. Either install the newer version in a separate directory or uninstall the old version and then install the new. On my system I've got several versions of CubeMX and IDE installed for the various projects that are tied to specific versions.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

@AScha.3​ The device ID of mini-e is indeed VID_0483&PID_3754&MI_00

So this is correct, and your STLink Upgrade utility is too old.

Do the update on a machine with latest CubeIDE or CubeProgrammer - even if this is a Windows machine.

Click on Open in update mode then Change Type.

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bkOZ5QAM.pngNote, while in the update mode, the ST-LINK disconnects and turns into a different USB device with PID =374D and single interface (DFU?)