cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I fix 890 : ST-LINK error (DEV_NO_STLINK) error?

DWadd.1
Associate

Trying to use CubePrgrammer thru an ST-Link V2 to program an STM32F103C8T6 board and get the error "890 : ST-LINK error (DEV_NO_STLINK)". Using Windows 10. Device Manager shows "STM32STLink" under Universal Serial Bus devices. Tried removing CubeProgrammer ad updating the driver to no avail. Any suggestions on how to solve this? FWIW, Arduion IDE cannot see the STM32F103C8T6 board, either.

4 REPLIES 4
KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hi @DWadd.1​ and welcome to the Community 🙂,

I advise you to refer to this FAQ: How to solve debugger connection issues.

Maybe that issue is linked to the ST-Link firmware version.

So, try to upgrade the ST-Link firmware version, then disconnect and connect your board.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Kaouthar

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thanks, but no help. The problem is that the software cannot "see" the ST-Link V2, because it is not a COM Port device in Windows. Sort of hard to update firmware or use debug when the software cannot connect to the ST-Link V2. Apologies for not being sufficiently clear in the first post.

Update: I went way back to the dark ages and loaded up Windows XP, loaded the ST-Link drivers and CubeProgrammer, and experienced the same problem - ST-Link does not appear as a communications USB device, so no COM port is assigned and CubeProgrammer cannot connect to the ST-Link.

KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hell @DWadd.1​ ,

Thank you for this clarification.

Are you use a ST board?

Do you use an authentic STM32F103C8T6 MCU?

Thanks

Kaouthar

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

sriniharish
Associate II

Hi All,

Facing similar issue with ST link V2. When I tried connecting the ST-Link V2 to STMCube programmer it's showing No ST-Link detected. It was working fine initially. Also, I tried firmware upgrade through Cube programmer. On doing so, getting error stating "ST-link device lost when exiting upgrade mode". I tried re-starting the ST link by disconnecting and connecting back. Still unable to Connect. I'm using wio E5 Dev board by seeed studio, I'm using ST link and Cube programmer to upload the code to the dev board. Is there any other alternatives to ST link or walkaround to upload my code to Dev board without ST link. 

Thanks in advance.