cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot reliably connect to dev board from MacOS Sonoma

walterg
Associate III

Hello,

TLRD: I cannot connect to a STM32H747I-DISCO board using my Mac/M3.

my setup is a MBP with M3 (Apple Silincon) and  MacOS Sonoma 14.4. Installed latest release of STM32CubeProgrammer and bought a STM32H747I-DISCO dev board. Connecting through a USB-C to Micro USB cable on default port CN2 (labeled STLINK-V3E USB connector) and verified that the Jp6 Jumper is set correctly to STlk.

Checked on system preferences that there is a STLink under the USB tree of MacOS.

The board lights up and the connect led flashes then stays green. The powe led below stays green. Nothing shows up on the touch screen.

Upon launching STM32Connector I cannot connect to the board with buttons. I've tried upgrading the firmware with the corresponding button/modal dialog.

Sometimes (after plugging and unplugging the USB cable) the system detects the firmware SN (it's a long string of numbers) and gives the option to update, but then fails. 

In the meantime the ST_Link configuration panel shows a Serial number in the Drop down (after a refresh). Port is set to SWD. 

After trying to connect explicitly or updating the firmware, every trace of serial number diasppears.

What's more, my Mac complains that the disc STM-I747X (or something like this string) was unplugged before being unmounted.

When I can see the "disk" mounted, if I click on it in the Finder window, the system hangs for a little while then the disk goes away with the same above message.

The least I can say is that everything is very unstable.

Is it because I am using a MacBookPro and what's worse, an Apple Silicon chip?

Any idea on how to debug this issue?

Thanks

That's the most I have achieved. When I get back to my lab I can share a screenshot of the Firmware update panel if I can get it "working" again.

10 REPLIES 10
walterg
Associate III

Hi @FTL,

thanks for following this thread. 

So you are suggesting that I download the full demo source tree, then apply the patch, then recompile everything and upload it to the board? 

It's a bit daunting, since it would be my first trial at compiling something for STM32. I was hoping for something along the lines of "Hello World" 🙂 

Seriously, can you briefly otuline the steps needed?

I think I have to clone this project https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeH7 then switch to the branch with the commit you mentioned? then what?

I am sorry I have to ask newbie questions but it's all new to me. (compiling no, but embedded C code, yes) 

Thanks a lot

W