cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get stm32 nucleo board to work again after system format

KMINH.1
Associate III

I am using stm32L496zg nucleo board. It got started and worked well. But after I formatted my system, the latop does not recognize it; USB Device not recognized. The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned. Windows does not recognize it. I tried installing drivers of st link again, but still its not recognized. 

KMINH1_0-1697463681628.jpeg

Can anyone plz advice me, whether the board's working or it can be resolved with drivers? 
Thanks in advance

17 REPLIES 17

You are right, without detect of STLINKV2 on PC side the FW is not able to be upgraded...

in this case, may be you can try CubeProgrammer instead of STLINK utility?

Hi @Pavel A. 

I am testing in 2 ways,

1. With in built stLink, to which laptop does not recognize the USB.

2. With external ST Link V2 USB dongle. 

The device manager shows this for 2nd approach;

KMINH1_0-1698293645425.png

But, stLink utility sw responds with this; cannot connect to target.

KMINH1_1-1698294051744.png

Thanks

Is it possible to interface nucleo board with external st link, when it has inbuilt st link?
Anyone plz advice.
Also, I am trying to connect same thru st cube programmer.

KMINH.1
Associate III

@QSHAO.1  Is st cube programmer licensed?  Is it required to be purchased before usage?

NO isnt licensed go back to start. You write reinstall windows = your windows miss somethink, sometimes i see trouble with missed VCRedist right version installed, try install too older ST Link utility...

For your Q can connect external stlink = yes ofcourse, you maybe see on nucleo precut part top side on your image. You can cut this onboard stlink completely... Too if your stlink on nucleo isnt detected maybe you reconnect jumpers to fail config or kill stlink ... or full board.

Thanks @MM..1  for quick answer. 
The microcontroller side of the board looks ok. But, STLink part doesn't seem to get detected. 

However, when I connect external StLink v2 clone, it doesn't get detected by st link utility sw. 
Attaching image:

KMINH1_0-1698841172805.png

If this setup works at least, its enough for me to get started.
Can u check where it could go wrong?
Thanks

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Try another computer. And another USB cable.

Aghhh your knowledge is under level for this designs. 

1. Connector you use is designed for output from Nucleo programmer when is cutout NO as input, you create backpower loops ...

2. Your board need own powering before use external Stlink

3. From external Stlink start only with 3 wires GND SWDIO SWDCLK based on code inside MCU maybe fourth wire NRST is required, but your external clone dont have it. (RST on it is STM8 based)