cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot change settings on STM32 ST-Link Utility

Jonathan Camilleri_2
Associate II
Posted on January 09, 2018 at 17:42

I am trying to change the settings on the STM32 ST-Link Utility, jhowever, the software seems to be freezing. I also installed it on another computer and it still doesn't seem to work. The problem is shown in the attached screen shot. Any suggestions as to why?

#st-link-v2 #stm32-st-link-utility #st-link-utility-problem
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
toby2
Senior
Posted on January 15, 2018 at 18:29

for what it is worth, I just came across this problem when trying to work out why my stlinkV2-Isol was not working (another thead,

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009XkXDFSA3

), if I tried to change to hot plug or connect under reset it froze like you say.

My problem was invalid connections to the target (not all the 0V pins can be used on the -Isol), when I corrected this it works fine again. (ie no freezing on mode change)

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Diana Bogusz
Associate
Posted on January 10, 2018 at 21:44

I had the same problem. Firstly try another usb cable or remove it again ( sometimes it helps). 

If it doesn't help it might be a problem with reset from your stlink . I couldn't connect stlink(discovery board) to target for 3 weeks,I tried to buy another one and many other options but it wasn't any diffrence. Finally, I mounted switch between pin rst and ground ( on swd connector on my board), I left only swdio and swclk pin connected to target. Ground was connected from gnd pin discovery to my board swd connector gnd pin. And when you click connect target on STlink utility you have to click switch for a second. When your target is detected properly you should have a possibility to change these options.

Posted on January 11, 2018 at 12:01

And if you managed to start the app update the firmware asap.

Posted on January 11, 2018 at 12:03

That's another issue. I am not referring the programmer that comes with the Nucleo board, but the stand alone programmer, which in turn i am connecting to a custom board. However, I will try to see if I can do your suggestion nonetheless

Posted on January 11, 2018 at 12:04

I did update it to the latest version, however the problem persisted.

Posted on January 11, 2018 at 15:45

What I do in such cases:

-start a virtual machine with older stable OS (Windows 7 for example) run the ST-LINK utility inside VM. You need to move USB discovered devices to the VM (available on Virtual Box for example) - this way you can find OS dependency

-believe that the USB device (the st-link driver) show no errors - this way you can find problem with the driver

Posted on January 11, 2018 at 15:48

But maybe the problem is in hardware because when not totally discovered the app should report nothing. What happens when you disconnect the st-link?

Posted on January 11, 2018 at 15:52

nothing. windows makes the usb device disconnect sound, i no longer see it on the devices manager, and do not find anything via the stm32 utility. 

then i reconnect it, for a second after i open settings it would seem that it might work and let me change them, then it reverts back to the screenshot i posted and doesn't let me do anything.

I'll try the vm solution you suggested. but i am afraid it might be a hardware problem with the stand alone st link v2 device
Posted on January 11, 2018 at 15:54

Yes, it looks like a hw problem. Not sure if wasting time on setupping vm (if you do not have it) is worth time spending on.

Posted on January 11, 2018 at 15:57

i will attempt to use the programmer on a nucleo board to program my other board but a bit unsure where and how to connect it up