cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the STLINK-V3SET be used to program a Nucleo F303RE ?

CLee.0
Associate III

I don't see a cable that fits onto the Nucleo in the STLINK-V3Set package.

There is a CN4 connector with the label SWD on the Nucleo, but no cables in the STLINK-V3SET fit that.

2 REPLIES 2
TDK
Guru

The STM32 Nucleo-64 are meant to be programmed through the integrated ST-Link on the board. It's not set up for using an external programmer.

You could use an external programmer, but you would need to ensure the ST-Link processor is in reset or otherwise doesn't interfere with the communication by severing the appropriate traces.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Andreas Bolsch
Lead II

I've accomplished that on a Nucleo-H743I (version with ST-Link V2) and Nucleo-F767I. These are Nucleo-144 boards, but should work on Nucleo-64 boards in a similar way:

First, do *NOT* use CN4 (except for GND), it's always connected to the integrated ST-Link you don't want to use. That's for using the internal ST-Link with an external target, but you want it the other way round.

Instead, remove both jumpers from CN2 (isolate target from integrated ST-Link) and attach the external ST-Link via CN6 (on extension board) with jumper cables to CN2 pins 2, 4. VDD, GND on ST-Link ext. board (CN6) to e.g. JP1 on Nucleo and CN4, resp.

Note that the Nucleo must still be powered via the internal ST-Link's USB, VDD from the external CN6 only determines threshold for the level shifters. This means you always have to select manually in your software the proper ST-Link. The target's NRST is not accessible but still connected to the internal ST-Link.

Just some caution: Keep the jumper wires as short as possible, otherwise higher SWD clock rates may be unreliable. With this in mind, I had no trouble moving hundreds of MBytes over the SWD at 24 MHz. I'm not sure whether the internal ST-Link still supplies the 8 MHz clock to the target as I always used the internal RC oscillator, but you could remove SB50 and fit a crystal and caps if required.