cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an ST Link V3MINI be changed to a V3MODS?

SHugh.2
Associate III

I'm designing some service hardware for a product which needs to program an STM32L4 chip, write a few values to an I2C EEPROM and send a few commands over a UART to run diagnostic functions.

The ST Link V3MODS seems an ideal tool for this as it has all the interfaces. Trouble is, nowhere has stock and most are saying 2023 before more is due. I've got a few V3MINIs, do these support the same functionality out of the box, or can they have the V3MODS firmware programmed on to them? Easy enough to remove the few components on the bottom I don't need, so is this viable?

Other option would be the V3SET but this would need some cumbersome cabling making, while the V3MODS can sit on a PCB with a few other bits I need for the diagnostics.

4 REPLIES 4
TDK
Guru

Almost certainly, yes. They use the same board. The chip doesn't care or know if you're connecting via the STDC connector or the castellated edges. I doubt the firmware is different.

There are a few obvious loading differences, but I doubt these are necessary to match if you're strictly using SWD functionality.

0693W00000JP1mCQAT.png 

Schematics are not released for this board which makes it difficult to confirm 100%.

I have never seen the V3MODS in stock, despite looking for it occasionally since it has become available. The V3MINI has been frequently out of stock as well, even pre-pandemic.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Mike_ST
ST Employee

Hello,

The bridge USB to SPI/UART/I2C/CAN/GPIOs is not available on V3MINI.

But is it possible to load the V3MODS firmware on to a V3MINI? Or are there other differences that prevent this being possible?

And any news if the V3MODS will ever become available to purchase if not?

SHugh.2
Associate III

The release notes seem to suggest the V3MINI firmware is different, and the V3MODS uses the same firmware as the V3SET. It's unclear whether you can just remove the parts that aren't normally fitted on the V3MODS and change the firmware, or if there is something else that is different.