cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieve Reader UID using ST25SDK

HTio.1
Associate II

Hi ST Community,

is there a way to retrieve the Reader UID using ST25SDK?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

my previous answer was erroneous regarding the ST25R3911DISCOComm DLL (I've edited it to remove this wrong information after I recheck and I apologize for this mistake). The Discovery GUI uses direct communication over USB; it does not rely on the ST25 SDK nor on the ST25R3911DISCOComm DLL. This direct communication uses a kind of remote procedure call to send commands to the board and to receive replies from the board. The ST25R3911DISCOComm DLL provides a subset of those commands/replies through an API for the user.

At startup, the Discovery GUI enumerates the USB to find devices matching ST VID and ST2R3911B PID. If several devices are found, it displays a selection popup. When a given line is highlighted, the device is temporarily selected and an Identify command is sent to have the LED blinking on the board. Once a line has been selected by the user, the corresponding board is selected and used in the GUI.

Unfortunately, the ST25R3911DISCOComm DLL does not provide support for multiple readers nor for reader selection: it uses the first USB instance matching ST VID/ST25R3911B PID.

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

what do you mean by "is there a way to retrieve the Reader UID using ST25SDK"? As far as I know, tags have UID defined by ISO14443 or ISO15693 standards, but those standards doe not define UID for reader. 

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi Brian, Thanks for the reply

HTio1_0-1706610901546.png

using ST25R3911B Discovery Application as example,

what i want to achieve is to get the STM32 UID value, it is unique for each Board Reader, is that possible using ST25SDK?

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

as far as I know, the STM32 Unique ID retrieval is not available through the ST25SDK. Can you share more information on your use case and about your need to retrieve the STM32 Unique ID?

Rgds

BT

HTio.1
Associate II

Hi,

I am currently working on developing an application using the ST25SDK, and I use ST25R3911B-DISCO Reader Board. The goal of this application is to connect to multiple Reader Board sequentially and read tag. To achieve this, I need to know the STM32 UID for able to identify which board is doing the reading first, second, and so on. is there another way to achieve this using ST25SDK, or is there other way to distinguish between the reader?

Regards,

HT

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

if I am not wrong, the multiple readers support is not a supported use case in the ST25 SDK. I guess you have probably seen a selection popup in the ST25R3911B Discovery GUI when several readers are connected. This GUI uses direct communication over USB and does not rely on the ST25 SDK.

Rgds

BT

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion, the application will still connect to the ready one by one using multiple instances, that is why the need to identify the reader using the UID.

You mention the selection popup in the ST25R3911B Discovery GUI when several readers are connected,

after checking ST25R3911DISCOComm DLL from "\STMicroelectronics\ST25R3911B_Discovery_GUI\DLL_Demos\", there is no function that redirect to what you mentioned, it is the same as ST25SDK directly connect using command "GetST25R3911()".

is there any other command to choose which reader to connect to like the ST25R3911B Discovery GUI??

Regards,

HT

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

my previous answer was erroneous regarding the ST25R3911DISCOComm DLL (I've edited it to remove this wrong information after I recheck and I apologize for this mistake). The Discovery GUI uses direct communication over USB; it does not rely on the ST25 SDK nor on the ST25R3911DISCOComm DLL. This direct communication uses a kind of remote procedure call to send commands to the board and to receive replies from the board. The ST25R3911DISCOComm DLL provides a subset of those commands/replies through an API for the user.

At startup, the Discovery GUI enumerates the USB to find devices matching ST VID and ST2R3911B PID. If several devices are found, it displays a selection popup. When a given line is highlighted, the device is temporarily selected and an Identify command is sent to have the LED blinking on the board. Once a line has been selected by the user, the corresponding board is selected and used in the GUI.

Unfortunately, the ST25R3911DISCOComm DLL does not provide support for multiple readers nor for reader selection: it uses the first USB instance matching ST VID/ST25R3911B PID.

Rgds

BT

HTio.1
Associate II

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the explanation, it is clear that using ST25SDK will not able to support my application spec. i will look for another way to work around.

Regards,

HT