cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about NDEF record

BAkeryy
Associate II

Hi, 

I want to operate reader board in CE mode. 

I posted the question before and I got the resolution from STSW-ST25R016 library.

I have more questions about ndef_type_wifi.h file.

Looking at the header file, you support it as below, but I would like to check the value of the macro again. 

Is it correct value?

And is the type after the written version not supported? (ex. wpa3, sae, etc.)

#define NDEF_WIFI_AUTHENTICATION_NONE       0U  /*!< WPS No Authentication (Should be 1, but set to 0 for Android native support) */
#define NDEF_WIFI_AUTHENTICATION_WPAPSK     2U  /*!< WPS Authentication based on WPAPSK  */
#define NDEF_WIFI_AUTHENTICATION_SHARED     3U  /*!< WPS Authentication                  */
#define NDEF_WIFI_AUTHENTICATION_WPA        4U  /*!< WPS Authentication based on WPA     */
#define NDEF_WIFI_AUTHENTICATION_WPA2       5U  /*!< WPS Authentication based on WPA2    */
#define NDEF_WIFI_AUTHENTICATION_WPA2PSK    6U  /*!< WPS Authentication based on WPA2PSK */

#define NDEF_WIFI_ENCRYPTION_NONE    0U  /*!< WPS No Encryption (Should be 1, but set to 0 for Android native support) */
#define NDEF_WIFI_ENCRYPTION_WEP     2U  /*!< WPS Encryption based on WEP  */
#define NDEF_WIFI_ENCRYPTION_TKIP    3U  /*!< WPS Encryption based on TKIP */
#define NDEF_WIFI_ENCRYPTION_AES     4U  /*!< WPS Encryption based on AES  */

Best regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi eagles64,

if I am not wrong, the latest version of the "Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ Specification" [1] is v2.0.8 (2020-12-01). It defines various Authentication Types in Table 32 but WPA3 is not covered by this specification. "Wi-Fi Easy Connect™" was introduced by the Wi-Fi Alliance (WFA) as an alternative to Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS). See Wi-Fi Easy Connect for more information about the support of "Wi-Fi Easy Connect™" versus WPS in Android and see as well the  "Wi-Fi Easy Connect™ specification" [2] for technical details.

Basically,  "Wi-Fi Easy Connect™" uses an NDEF URI Record (see §5.4.3 in [2]). URI records are supported in the NDEF library.

Regarding your question about the NDEF_WIFI_AUTHENTICATION_xxx defines, those macros should not be used to encode the Authentication Type. The authentication field of the ndefTypeWifi structure should use the value from Table 32 in [1].

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi eagles64,

if I am not wrong, the latest version of the "Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ Specification" [1] is v2.0.8 (2020-12-01). It defines various Authentication Types in Table 32 but WPA3 is not covered by this specification. "Wi-Fi Easy Connect™" was introduced by the Wi-Fi Alliance (WFA) as an alternative to Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS). See Wi-Fi Easy Connect for more information about the support of "Wi-Fi Easy Connect™" versus WPS in Android and see as well the  "Wi-Fi Easy Connect™ specification" [2] for technical details.

Basically,  "Wi-Fi Easy Connect™" uses an NDEF URI Record (see §5.4.3 in [2]). URI records are supported in the NDEF library.

Regarding your question about the NDEF_WIFI_AUTHENTICATION_xxx defines, those macros should not be used to encode the Authentication Type. The authentication field of the ndefTypeWifi structure should use the value from Table 32 in [1].

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.